Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lots!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please disregard this posting. Archies fins actually look a lot better upon further inspection today. I will follow my current regimen.

Hi,

I don’t consider this an emergency but can move this over to that section and fill out the form if you’d like.

Archie has developed these thinned out areas on his anal fin (they look like brown areas toward his rear). When I look at them they are a little translucent. I can’t imagine it being fin rot. He’s in a safe very planted tank, nothing new besides banana leaves for the extra tannins added. He does have a large growth growing onto his eye (this has been growing over the last few months and there is nothing else I can do besides tannins and clean water) so he has been with a lot more banana leaves and IAL over the last week. I always use IAL’s but wanted to add the banana leaves to see if that might thin out or slow down the progression of the growth.

Back to my question: the first two photos I show his fins a week ago and now the 4 last pics (I apologize for the pic quality) are from yesterday with the spots and/or thinning. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? I’m hoping nothing serious or progressive. He looks fine and is acting great too but don’t want this to continue. I did add a little Kordons fish protector yesterday and I will do a mid-week wc with his weekly cleaning/wc as well.

Any advice, insight or help is appreciated!! Thank you!

Plant Organism Fish Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant
Plant Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant Grass
Water Plant Nature Underwater Terrestrial plant
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Tints and shades
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Magenta
Flower Eye Plant Petal Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,845 Posts
Please disregard this posting. Archies fins actually look a lot better upon further inspection today. I will follow my current regimen.
I'm glad it wasn't something serious and that he's getting better!! :)

·
Registered
18 chickens, 8 ducks, 4 turkies, 2 cats, 1 fish
48 Posts
Hope that lump isn't cancerous. If it comes and goes, that's must be just a mass, if it's staying and getting larger, refer to a fish vet near you, as it can put strain on the Bettas' head, looks like it's very close to it's eye too. Poor baby.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope that lump isn't cancerous. If it comes and goes, that's must be just a mass, if it's staying and getting larger, refer to a fish vet near you, as it can put strain on the Bettas' head, looks like it's very close to it's eye too. Poor baby.
Hi, thank you so much. Unfortunately I had to let Archie go a couple of months ago. The lump eventually became too large for his little body to handle and spread around his eye and onto one of his gills, which made breathing extremely hard for him. There was no hope for him at this point and he began to suffer, so i had to make the toughest decision us pet owners need to make. I miss him dearly. I really appreciate your response to my posting. I have a nice tribute to him on the Betta Memorials page if you’d like to see it. Have a wonderful day. 🙏.

·
Registered
18 chickens, 8 ducks, 4 turkies, 2 cats, 1 fish
48 Posts
Hi, thank you so much. Unfortunately I had to let Archie go a couple of months ago. The lump eventually became too large for his little body to handle and spread around his eye and onto one of his gills, which made breathing extremely hard for him. There was no hope for him at this point and he began to suffer, so i had to make the toughest decision us pet owners need to make. I miss him dearly. I really appreciate your response to my posting. I have a nice tribute to him on the Betta Memorials page if you’d like to see it. Have a wonderful day. 🙏.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Tumors happen in fish. He might've been an old guy. I've never experience tumors before, but rather similar to abscesses.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. Tumors happen in fish. He might've been an old guy. I've never experience tumors before, but rather similar to abscesses.
Yes, unfortunately I had another betta, Yogi, experience tumors that turned fatal. Yogi had one on his head that I would liken more to an abscess, and of course anything growing on their head is terrible.

thank you for your condolences 🙏

1 - 8 of 8 Posts