Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I’m brand new to the forum. I just transitioned over to a planted betta tank 2 days ago and one of my plants seem to be thinning and ripping? It started as a little dot on the plant and now it is spread to 2 leaves. One of the leaves on the plant as already yellow when I purchased it. My light is on at least 9 hrs a day. The plant was perfectly fine but now it seems like it is completely deteriorating! (I don’t remember what the plant is called but I will attach pictures.)

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's a Cryptocoryne species--"crypt" for short--and your photos depict 'crypt melt', very common with crypts. This often happens when new crypts are fully submerged under water after being raised with only their roots in water, as most are. I suggest cutting off all melting leaves close to the crown. If the roots are healthy, new shoots will emerge and they will be acclimated to life under water..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Cryptocoryne species--"crypt" for short--and your photos depict 'crypt melt', very common with crypts. This often happens when new crypts are fully submerged under water after being raised with only their roots in water, as most are. I suggest cutting off all melting leaves close to the crown. If the roots are healthy, new shoots will emerge and they will be acclimated to life under water..
Thank you so much for the advice! The aquatic store I purchased it from did have it fully submerged though... But I will try cutting the leaves and see what happens 😁

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice! The aquatic store I purchased it from did have it fully submerged though... But I will try cutting the leaves and see what happens 😁
Yes, but they didn't cultivate the plant. It came from a greenhouse somewhere where it was grown with leaves above water.

When you cut the leaves, do so as close to the crown as you can get so the 'melt' doesn't spread to the roots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts