Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to another town to visit my brother and we went to Walmart. Being curious, I went to the fish section and was horrified with what I saw. This poor fish could barely stay up let alone swim. I think he has a tumor but I am not for sure. I am so pissed at Walmart.

·
Registered
97 Posts
did you buy it or did you leave it. i am not offended either way

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
things like that sometimes just happen. x: if it IS a tumor, it's not Walmart's fault at all. things like this sometimes can't be helped.

things like nasty fin rot, columnaris, velvet, ick, ect... those ARE Walmart's fault, because they're all preventable with clean water. :I

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
things like that sometimes just happen. x: if it IS a tumor, it's not Walmart's fault at all. things like this sometimes can't be helped.

things like nasty fin rot, columnaris, velvet, ick, ect... those ARE Walmart's fault, because they're all preventable with clean water. :I
I have to disagree and say Walmart does need to take responsibility for their fish. I am not 100% certain that it is a tumor because I didn't really have time to fully examine the fish, just a quick glance. Either way, this fish should not be sold in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Tutors are not preventable and if a fish gets one, its not the stores fault. A store could keep all of their fish in heated, filtered natural planted tank and feed them NLS and live brine shrimp and that would not even prevent a tumor. However, I don't think this is a tumor. I think it is either extreme constipation (I lost a fish to this last year) or dropsy... Both of which are preventable. I am glad they are selling him because there is a chance what he will go to someone who knows what they are doing and won't spend their last days in a cold cup.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
they DO need to take responsibility, but tumors still aren't preventable. and, neither are the other reasons for this, aside from severe overfeeding. it could just be that he's a sick boy and his kidneys are failing, a tumor, or many other reasons, most of which aren't the store's fault.

either way, this poor guy reminds me of the boy i saw at my local pet store when i got Owen. he was pineconing, badly bloated,and couldn't swim, like this boy. i know that pet store takes care of their bettas, so i know it wasn't from neglect, so they probably have the same issue, whatever it may be.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tutors are not preventable and if a fish gets one, its not the stores fault. A store could keep all of their fish in heated, filtered natural planted tank and feed them NLS and live brine shrimp and that would not even prevent a tumor. However, I don't think this is a tumor. I think it is either extreme constipation (I lost a fish to this last year) or dropsy... Both of which are preventable. I am glad they are selling him because there is a chance what he will go to someone who knows what they are doing and won't spend their last days in a cold cup.
I didn't say tumors were preventable, I'm saying that I thought it looked like one and either way it shouldn't be sold.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they DO need to take responsibility, but tumors still aren't preventable. and, neither are the other reasons for this, aside from severe overfeeding. it could just be that he's a sick boy and his kidneys are failing, a tumor, or many other reasons, most of which aren't the store's fault.

either way, this poor guy reminds me of the boy i saw at my local pet store when i got Owen. he was pineconing, badly bloated,and couldn't swim, like this boy. i know that pet store takes care of their bettas, so i know it wasn't from neglect, so they probably have the same issue, whatever it may be.
As I said to MattsBetta, I never said that tumors are preventable. I said it looked like a tumor but wasn't sure. Either way, I don't think this fish should be sold to some person who doesn't know what they are doing, and that the fish will be miserable for the rest of its days IF its a tumor

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
But then what would they do with it? It's not like anyone who works at Walmart knows how to take care of him.
Mattsbettas presents a very valid question here. They more likely than not don't even realize that he's sick and shouldn't look like this. So, if they were pull him from the shelf, what are they supposed to do with him then?

You can't be mad at the employees, that one employee that works pets is usually manning 3-4 other departments. In our local store, that person also works baby, electronics, kid's clothes, and crafts. Those other depts are generally more active than pets. So they have to "get around" to it. AND on top of that, Petstores don't want to pay someone who knows anything about the animals that they sell, for the simple fact that it would require more money for someone with more knowledge, and that person would turn people away from all of the expensive and useless gimmicks that people buy to make pet care a shortcut.

That fish would've been taken and thrown in the trash the second your back was turned if you'd pointed him out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts