Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my third Betta fish over the years passed today. I'm wondering what happened. Basically the entire story is I had my first fish who lasted many years. He was awesome but then my next fish did not make it very long so I made it a point to take really good care of my new fish. I didnt get him very long ago. Maybe a month or two. This winter has been very cold so for Christmas I decided to get his tank a heater along with a few accesories that I thought my betta would like. About a day and a half ago I cleaned the tank, put in new accesories, and put the heater in. He was fine and active at first but then he began to not get very active. Then he started to not eat his food. I read that he might be stressed so it might give him some time to get used to the temperatute change. Then today my fish was just floating towards the top. He had passed:cry: I want to avoid this when I get a new fish. Can anyone tell me what happened?? The heater was also one that only stays on 78 degrees so I didnt think it was too hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tank is 1-2 gallons I know not big but enough room for him to swim a few body distances and its the same tank I had for my other fish. The heater was also for small tanks.
I changed all the water for this one cause I needed to put down some new rocks and accessories and install the heater.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I meant how often did you change the water in his tank, once a week, every other day, every month...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Well I've only had this fish for a month or two. I changed it a couple times.
In a 1-2 gallon tank you'd have needed to do 100% water changes every other day... It's possible the ammonia just got too high. Sorry again about your loss. :/ Now you know for next time.

·
Registered
713 Posts
*Sips Tea*

I'll just say what needs to be said...

Keep in mind the fish could have been ill from the start, there dozens of factors that you perhaps had no control over, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Although the more info you lend us, the more specific we can be on what happened.
Picture of the tank would be most appreciated...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I treated him the same that I treated the other fishes I had. Same water too. I use spring water for the tanks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I treated him the same that I treated the other fishes I had. Same water too. I use spring water for the tanks.

Thanks.
*Pours more tea*

As I said... You may have done nothing wrong.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

There is one condition on their listed (Toward the bottom) it's rare but it can sometimes (WITH NO SYMPTOMS) just... kill your poor betta. It is a possibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeahh. Thats deffinitly possible. I just thought it could be something known I was missing because he only started to act up after I changed the tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had to add a heater and then change it for a different heater and both times my betta got sick. Luckily I was able to help him. I never had a problem until I added/changed the heater. So now if I have to change out my heater I will take him out first. I don't know why the adding the heater affected him that way. Maybe it happened to your fish too? I am very sorry you lost your fish.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Possible problems:
1. To high ammonia (didn't change water enough)
2. May have been cold before adding heater and he couldn't adapt to the temperature change because his body was to cold
3. A problem you couldn't (or could, but didn't know how) deal with

I am thinking 1 or 2 caused 3. Sorry about your fish =(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with shinybetta. Basically next time, if you get another fish that is, you need to change the water more than only a few times per month. Also use a water conditioner, it is important so that the water you are using doesn't burn his fins. It's just a precaution you should take. A tip for the heater...just make sure that when you place the heater in the tank that you only turn up the temp every hour, about two degrees until you reach the temp you want. I keep mine at 76-80 depending, usually 80. Since you have gone through so many fish so quickly...maybe you should consider the more frequent water changes. I honestly think that may have done it =[ although I'm no fish doctor. You should also get a test kit so you can actually see for yourself the levels of your tank. That way you will really want to be more persistent with the upkeep. Also check your fish before you buy them and make sure their bodies are healthy and the fins aren't damaged. Maybe the place you buy from sells unhealthy bettas? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I agree with shinybetta. Basically next time, if you get another fish that is, you need to change the water more than only a few times per month. Also use a water conditioner, it is important so that the water you are using doesn't burn his fins. It's just a precaution you should take. A tip for the heater...just make sure that when you place the heater in the tank that you only turn up the temp every hour, about two degrees until you reach the temp you want. I keep mine at 76-80 depending, usually 80. Since you have gone through so many fish so quickly...maybe you should consider the more frequent water changes. I honestly think that may have done it =[ although I'm no fish doctor. You should also get a test kit so you can actually see for yourself the levels of your tank. That way you will really want to be more persistent with the upkeep. Also check your fish before you buy them and make sure their bodies are healthy and the fins aren't damaged. Maybe the place you buy from sells unhealthy bettas? Good luck.

+1

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree with u guys. The only one thing i have betta at home, and at work.Also one of my friend has betta. At home I using spigot water with water conditioner and at work i using DEER PARK SPRING WATER. I never put any conditioner in the spring water,and my friend using the same brand spring water without water conditioner.

I don't know is that wrong? Well the betta at work about 10 month old.I didn't have problems yet :)

I have 8 bettas at home and i take care of them the same way and one get sick. I guess they have different immunity?

I don't understand why betta fish get sick easier then other fish. I had 10 gall tank before with 4 different fish and betta get sick while other didn't. I didn't even treated water in the tank after i separate that betta. It was 4 years ago. Since then i have each of my betta in 2 gall tanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with u guys. The only one thing i have betta at home, and at work.Also one of my friend has betta. At home I using spigot water with water conditioner and at work i using DEER PARK SPRING WATER. I never put any conditioner in the spring water,and my friend using the same brand spring water without water conditioner.

I don't know is that wrong? Well the betta at work about 10 month old.I didn't have problems yet :)

I have 8 bettas at home and i take care of them the same way and one get sick. I guess they have different immunity?

I don't understand why betta fish get sick easier then other fish. I had 10 gall tank before with 4 different fish and betta get sick while other didn't. I didn't even treated water in the tank after i separate that betta. It was 4 years ago. Since then i have each of my betta in 2 gall tanks.
I could be wrong, but I think bettas get sick more often than other fish is because they stress so easily. I would assume the stress lowers their immune system and so if there is any small introduction of a disease or irritant it would automatically affect them. I guess that's why they say to use stress coat and make sure the water is pristine with 0 ammonia.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts