Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Dog 59 said:
It's looking very good. I see Red is patrolling and exploring the tank. That is the best sign. He likes it.
Thank you! He's always on the clock in his tank 🙂

I have noticed a bit more of biofilm build up on the surface and increasing surface agitation doesn't really help. I scoop it out but it comes back the next day. I think I noticed it when I put a handful of Frogbit in. But I've taken some out so there's only 5-6 plants on top. Is this normal? Here's a pic of it. I've read that bettas have mucus so whenever they take a breath, it releases some out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Those S. repens are looking good.
I have some newly planted in my 12 inch cube (Valentine's tank) that are also doing well, so am pleased to see the same for yours.

As for the slick on the surface, I think that dropping in fish food causes it as much as anything else. If there is the slightest bit of oil in the food (and there should be, since there is fat and oil in good quality insectivore or fish based fish food).

I think it is perfectly normal, although not ideal, since it can affect gas exchange. You can easily deal with it in one of two ways. Either drop a piece of kitchen towel paper onto the surface and lift it out (the grease will stick to the paper), or you can use a hand held jug rather than a siphon to do a partial water change. As the jug fills, the surface film will slide into it. Both methods are very quick and easy. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bluesamphire said:
I have some newly planted in my 12 inch cube (Valentine's tank) that are also doing well, so am pleased to see the same for yours.

As for the slick on the surface, I think that dropping in fish food causes it as much as anything else. If there is the slightest bit of oil in the food (and there should be, since there is fat and oil in good quality insectivore or fish based fish food).

I think it is perfectly normal, although not ideal, since it can affect gas exchange. You can easily deal with it in one of two ways. Either drop a piece of kitchen towel paper onto the surface and lift it out (the grease will stick to the paper), or you can use a hand held jug rather than a siphon to do a partial water change. As the jug fills, the surface film will slide into it. Both methods are very quick and easy. :)
Thank you! I drop 1 Bug Bite at a time and feed 2 then 2 in the evening but they do have oils I guess. I've been doing the cup/jug method 🙂 might have to do it every other day now and once a week gravel vacuum, basic clean up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blubird101 said:
I love my staurogyne repens 🙂 (its up in the front there) They almost work as a carpeting plant for me :p
I love mine! Your tank looks great! Mine grows taller now since I have yet to switch lights, waiting on that glass top to arrive and maybe it'll carpet with the Finnex. Though I do like the tall growth too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bluesamphire said:

The paper towel trick worked! I was dragging it before which didn't do much but just laying it down and letting it soak it up, then taking it out worked wonders 🙂

Thank you so much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts