Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was looking at tests strips, and what not, when I saw this. http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/water-quality-testers/seachem-alert-combo-aquarium-ph-amonia-detector-zid36-5156210/cat-36-catid-300005?_t=pfm%3Dcategory It's a detector that you put into the tank, pH detector lasts for 3-6 months, and the Ammonia detector lasts up to a year. They both sit in the tank, and changes colours when the levels have changed. Sounds very convenient, instead of the strip testing. This brand or another brand?

Has anyone tried these? Use these? Anyone have thoughts?
Or even what you think would be a good test to buy?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I have the Ammonia Alert and recommend it to everyone. It alerts you when the "bad" Ammonia is present. Kits, strips, etc. by any maker except Seachem lumps the good and bad together for total Ammonia. I wouldn't be without mine.

Don't need the pH detector so can't address it.

If I haven't said it already: Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Ammonia Alert and recommend it to everyone. It alerts you when the "bad" Ammonia is present. Kits, strips, etc. by any maker except Seachem lumps the good and bad together for total Ammonia. I wouldn't be without mine.

Don't need the pH detector so can't address it.

If I haven't said it already: Welcome to the Forum!
Thank you. What make is your?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Unless one is also using and comparing the Seachem Ammonia Test Kit results with the detector readings there is no way to say the detectors don't work. I've used them my three tanks for over two years and they have been accurate with the Seachem Ammonia Test Kit.

Both the detectors and Seachem Ammonia Test Kit only read the Free/Toxic Ammonia so will never coincide with the API Test Kit with also reads the harmless Ammonium as Ammonia. This causes people to unnecessarily panic when they see a "high" reading on the API test.

BTW, I am not against API; I use the Master Test Kit as a maintenance check and the Ammonia detectors. I occasionally double check my detectors with the Seachem Ammonia test.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Has anyone used that one that looks like a turtle? It's by Seachem too, so I would assume it's the same thing. One of my LFS-es has them on clearance for $2 each.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have both in all 3 of my tanks, find them very helpful. Nuisance remembering to replace / update them, but great aid in maintaining water quality.

Not seen the turtle version, can you post a link?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well this is interesting . . . if you order on the Petsmart website (which currently has the combo pack on sale) and if you arrange to pick it up at the store, you get a 20% discount. Of course NONE of the stores near me have it in stock so I can't take advantage of this deal at the moment.

Sorry to keep posting, lol.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless one is also using and comparing the Seachem Ammonia Test Kit results with the detector readings there is no way to say the detectors don't work. I've used them my three tanks for over two years and they have been accurate with the Seachem Ammonia Test Kit.
I bought another seachem ammonia detector just for the heck of it ( I can always return it if it doesn't work ) and when I placed it near pure ammonia, it did turn blue! so this particular one actually works. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Update: In my previous post, I mentioned that the indicator turned blue during my ammonia test. The detector has been in my tank for a few hours now and it's back to yellow as shown in this picture:

I've also used api liquid test kit and it shows as 0 ammonia... so it's accurate. :)

Yay ~

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm confused about this detector. Seachem website says the below. I interpret that to mean that in my high pH tank (8+), it wouldn't register anything until a value that would be off the charts on an API test. Am I misunderstanding? Even in a high pH tank, would it alert me to an ammonia level of, say, 0.5 ppm free (toxic, non-ionized) ammonia? And what level of alert would that be? I'm clear on the ammonia vs ammonium, and that API tests both. I'm just trying to understand what the alert levels of Seachem would mean for free ammonia in my pH...

"Interpretation

As little as 0.02 mg/L of free ammonia will produce a greenish hue on the detector surface. This corresponds to a total ammonia (both ionized and free ammonia) of 0.25 mg/L in marine water at pH 8.3. In freshwater at pH 7.0, this corresponds to 3.6 mg/L total ammonia.
"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts