Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just upgraded Paarthurnax to a 5.5gal tank (yay) and he is just loving it - it's so cute! I'll get pictures the next time I'm in my room when the sun is present.

However, I noticed how quickly the water gets cloudy and it bothers me. I figured I would just keep up with daily and weekly water changes (because I don't want to cycle this tank), but even after just a day of him being in there, the water was already gross. Messy little guy.

So I've decided I'm going to get him a filter. I was doing some research and came across this - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3954&pcatid=3954 It requires an air stone/air pump, which I have in in my goldfish tank next to Paarth's tank.

I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on these filters? Are they any good?

My parents are going to shoot me if I have to buy another thing that's going to need to be plugged in and I don't exactly have the free-will to spend money right now after purchasing a bunch of stuff for my goldfish - and filters are pricey..

If someone else has a better option for a 5.5gallon let me know. I want my tanks to be a quiet as possible, so keep that in mind if you have a suggestion please :3

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've never had a sponge filter, but I thought you could run multiple filters off of one air pump by using a splitter to route the tubing to both tanks?

Again, never had a sponge filter, but in my research I thought that's what I had read; I'd thought of using this type of setup if/when I need to replace me internal filters. Maybe something like that requires a more powerful air pump?

Hopefully one of the more experienced members can give you more/better advice.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That looks like a pretty standard one, Kelsey. Hagen is a trusted brand of aquarium equipment.

Mike, I seem to recall hearing that the bubbles should be just small enough that as they rise to the surface you should be able to just barely make out the shape of the bubble. I can't remember exactly where I heard that, tho. It's how I run my bubble filters.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes! I believe it's the same brand as my heater, which was recommended by many people on this forum. So that's why I snagged it. I'm worried about the reviews saying it was loud, but I can't imagine it being any louder than my airstone? (that's loud). I'll turn it off at night if that's the case though.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It's not a good idea to turn filters on and off. During the off period, the good bacteria starts to die off due to lack of water movement, so each time you do that you push the cycle back a little further.

I have mine in my bedroom. Since I don't have a check valve it's on full and still isn't that noisy. You can hear it, but it isn't bad.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I notice my air pump more than I do any of my filters, sponge or otherwise. A big chunk of my tanks (I think 20?) are in my room and the noise the sponge filters make is really only audible at night. However, honestly, you get used to it pretty quick and I barely notice mine nowadays.

There is though, nothing worse than waking up with that "I need to pee now!" feeling because the water level has dropped in your tank and your filter is trickling.

Don't turn filters on/off. It defeats the purpose of having a filter unless you only require it for water circulation.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a sponge filter in my 5 gallon (it's actually rated for up to 10 gallons) and I think it is very quiet! I watched the video and I think I have a few more bubbles going through mine, but honestly you can hardly hear them! I also got a Tetra Whisper air pump, and it makes very little noise. Just a low hum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.