Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with this new "elephant ear" type of betta? I use the term "new" loosely because its new to me. I'm not sure if its a good thing or bad. I'm not even sure how they bred it. It looks like it'd be difficult to swim.
I saw one at petco today. Bizarre. A half-moon "elephant ear".

Opinions? Pretty or ugly? (well, thats a lie- no betta is ugly)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
At first I wasn't a fan of them just because I was afraid they would have difficulty swimming, but I have since owned 2 of them, and I love them! They are gorgeous, and mine had no problem swimming what so ever!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However
, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.

That is very interesting... They look kind of funny to me.
The one I saw at the store was very beautiful. I decided on a different fish (non elephant ear) that was colorless. Seems like no one wants the cellophanes...

Do you know how they were bred to look like that? Like were they crossed with some other species of tropical fish?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.

Nearly tearing right off!? :shock: That poor fish!
I was wondering about the whole HM "dumbo" thing being a bit much. I know that I've seen halfmoons that can't seem to swim because of their tails being so large and heavy. I can only imagine it'd be like wearing weights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they are gorgeous, no problem swimming at all. My delta tail has more problems swimming than my big ear plakat type. This is Phillip:

Wow, he's really pretty. :nicefish:

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is very interesting... They look kind of funny to me.
The one I saw at the store was very beautiful. I decided on a different fish (non elephant ear) that was colorless. Seems like no one wants the cellophanes...

Do you know how they were bred to look like that? Like were they crossed with some other species of tropical fish?
It is a deformity that was encouraged like most of the new breeds of most things. This statement was not meant to be taken as rude, but if you think about it....the HM was considered a deformity way back when :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a deformity that was encouraged like most of the new breeds of most things. This statement was not meant to be taken as rude, but if you think about it....the HM was considered a deformity way back when :D
I don't think thats rude at all. :) I didn't know the HM was a deformity. I guess I should brush up on some more betta history...

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Nearly tearing right off!? :shock: That poor fish!
I was wondering about the whole HM "dumbo" thing being a bit much. I know that I've seen halfmoons that can't seem to swim because of their tails being so large and heavy. I can only imagine it'd be like wearing weights.
Yeah I think he tore it on the mesh divider as there was nothing else for him to get caught up in. It took a very long time for his pectoral to grow back and he couldn't swim very well then as he had next to no pectoral on one side, and a very oversized one on the other.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! He was a mislabeled deal at Petco :twisted:

When you look at the wild type bettas, aren't all pet store bettas deformed?;-)
Yep. :p They are, actually!
Petco mislables a LOT of their fish. I got a really nice HMDT for the price of a regular DT. Normally they go for a lot more...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I miss my dumbo boy! We called them his jazz hands :) He never had any issues swimming or anything like that.
Who are you??? You are using Lone Star Bettas Logo fish. Did you get permission?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is my business as I am the President of Lone Star Bettas, and it was my friend that drew it specifically for LSB as part of the logo.

The fish is the main part of the Logo, that is the reason I asked you.

Now, I will let my friend know that you are using it and see what he thinks. He is not on this forum.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts