Betta Fish Forum banner

Thoughts on the "elephant ear/dumbo" betta?

53K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  LionCalie 
#1 ·
Whats up with this new "elephant ear" type of betta? I use the term "new" loosely because its new to me. I'm not sure if its a good thing or bad. I'm not even sure how they bred it. It looks like it'd be difficult to swim.
I saw one at petco today. Bizarre. A half-moon "elephant ear".

Opinions? Pretty or ugly? (well, thats a lie- no betta is ugly)

#2 ·
At first I wasn't a fan of them just because I was afraid they would have difficulty swimming, but I have since owned 2 of them, and I love them! They are gorgeous, and mine had no problem swimming what so ever!

#3 ·
Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.

#5 ·
Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.

That is very interesting... They look kind of funny to me.
The one I saw at the store was very beautiful. I decided on a different fish (non elephant ear) that was colorless. Seems like no one wants the cellophanes...

Do you know how they were bred to look like that? Like were they crossed with some other species of tropical fish?

#9 ·
It is a deformity that was encouraged like most of the new breeds of most things. This statement was not meant to be taken as rude, but if you think about it....the HM was considered a deformity way back when :D

#4 ·
I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However
, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.

#7 ·
I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.

Nearly tearing right off!? :shock: That poor fish!
I was wondering about the whole HM "dumbo" thing being a bit much. I know that I've seen halfmoons that can't seem to swim because of their tails being so large and heavy. I can only imagine it'd be like wearing weights.

#8 ·
I think they are gorgeous, no problem swimming at all. My delta tail has more problems swimming than my big ear plakat type. This is Phillip:

Wow, he's really pretty. :nicefish:

#20 ·
It is my business as I am the President of Lone Star Bettas, and it was my friend that drew it specifically for LSB as part of the logo.

The fish is the main part of the Logo, that is the reason I asked you.

Now, I will let my friend know that you are using it and see what he thinks. He is not on this forum.

#22 · (Edited)
My original post on the matter was not meant to be rude. If it came off that way, please accept my apology. I only asked who you were, because you could have been related to my friend that drew the fish, so there for you may have had permission. 2nd, I asked if you had gotten permission as using someone else's photo without permission is a copy right issue even if it is not posted that you may only use the photo with permission. It is almost understood that if the picture/photo is not yours, you need to get permission from the owner.

Again, I was not meaning to be rude.

Lori

If you want to see the logo in use, please visit LoneStarBettas.com

My friend said it was ok to use the Logo fish.

#23 · (Edited)
As an artist I have to back copper on that one. Anything created by an individual without a legal document stating otherwise is copyrighted to that individual... even a mindlessly drawn doodle :) A lot of times people say "i got it from google" but google is a search engine, not a free stock photo provider, it is unable to differentiate between creative commons photo and one that is under copyright ^_^
it is up to the job of the user to find out what the copyright status of that picture is.
an item is still copyrighted to its creator years after their death (I believe 70 years)
it's a good practice to know where your photo comes from and whether you should use it in a public place :) a lot of people get sued in such ways over these copyright laws...

I don't believe copper is rude. it's just shocking to see a logo belonging to his company on someone else's avatar.
it would be polite to seek permission to use an artwork not belonging to you... it is also respectful to the artist and the owners...
because believe it or not, the drawing is their property no matter how "public" it may seem. you wouldn't go arround taking things that is in a store for public display first then ask the owner for permission later right?

#24 · (Edited)
Thank you :D ...and yes it was a shock to see LSB Fish as an avatar that is a non-member of Lone Star Bettas. (I'm a her,but the artist is a Him ;D).

The only difference in LSB logo is the fish in the avatar is mirror image...

#28 ·
If Lone Star Bettas of the artist asks me to remove it, I will, otherwise, its non of your business.
Sounds good, but maybe you should also acquire some manners in the process
These sound ruder to me than anything Coppermoon said. She politley asked you were your DP was from, you responded rudely.

Anyways, I guess its not my problem.

#39 ·
Ahh, I always wanted a HMPK dumbo! I think they are just absolutley gorgeous!

#41 ·
I really do enjoy the dumbo/big ear/elephant ear Bettas and currently have one named Skye. What I have a problem with is when it is taken to the extreme. When their pectoral fins are ridiculously oversize I feel it takes away from the overall beauty and grace.

Here is my boy Skye, he's a Halfmoon Plakat Big ear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.