Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh, it's quiet on my end too.

My female though has been doing the submissive pose lately...so I'll probably be putting her and Cole together again this week.

Sounds like the fry are doing ok. What about the parents?

·
Registered
706 Posts
True. I'm hoping my male doesn't take the 'joys of parenthood' lightly.

Some bettas seem to pull the plug and others...not so much. I read about one breeder who kept the male in the tank with the fry after they started swimming on their own. Didn't eat them or anything but that's probably a rare case.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Would an 8 gallon work? that's the size I have but I'll still probably separate him... I'm thinking of getting another silk plant to add and putting a terra cotta pot or jar in as a hiding place

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh no, I wouldn't try that. I've heard at least two cases where breeders left the male with the fry and he didn't try to eat them but that's probably rare and I'm sort of nervous about if he'll care for the nest when there's eggs in it. I have seen him repair nests he's built before, he's even added on to his previous one. My male isn't extremely aggressive and neither is my female. They've flared at each other but for the most part they seem to get along. She's been showing her stripes more than usual and this is regardless of if she sees him or not.

I take it that's a good thing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
sadly, i decided to abandon this project, all the fry eventually died out--too weak. i need another sire. preferably orange. i tried a reverse spawning with his sibling and my best male, but the female was too large for him to wrap around. shame.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
so i lied about completely closing shop--i found some kids that happened to survive after the fact.

looking like poor metallic bicolors at the moment. wishing for the marble gene to kick in soon.
male 1:

male 2, better branching on this one, but less aggressive:

and one of their sisters:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts