Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, today I purchased a beautiful Tiger Snail and plopped him right into the bowl with my Betta. He moves around but I havn't seen him come out of his shell and I was wondering how long and hiw often do they come out of their shells?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm pretty sure what you have is a Zebra Nerite snails. :) Because there's no such thing as a Tiger Snail, unless you're talking about the species that lives on land and are not aquatic.

He might take awhile to come out of his shell, just wait for a day or so, if he hasn't moved in a day might wanna inspect, he might have died. One way to know that a snail has died is to smell it, the smell really bad, and you'll know for sure if it's dead or not.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I did see something advertised as a tiger nerite, just referring to the pattern of spots.

If it doesn't move at all after a day or two, you've probably got a dead one. The sniff test is helpful.

Also, mine seems to be in love with fresh cucumber. He sank to the bottom 3 hours ago with a piece.. and he's still chewing away.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
With nerite snails, you won't ever really see it emerge from the shell the same way apple snails do. Nerites never stick their whole body out/head. All you'll ever really see is a pair of hair-thin antennae. Apple snails are different. The body emerges and the antennae are thick and noticeable.

Nerite snail moving:

Apple snail moving:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I had one of my merited be very shy for the first two days but has come around.

Keep in mind- a good environment for a betta is a 5 gallon heated filtered TANK. bowls aren't suitable for any fish to live happily.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I had one of my merited be very shy for the first two days but has come around.

Keep in mind- a good environment for a betta is a 5 gallon heated filtered TANK. bowls aren't suitable for any fish to live happily.
Merited = nerite.... stupid spell check. :roll:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a nerite with my betta in a 5 gallon mini-bow. Both are happy as could be. :)

Do you have any pictures to see whether he is a nerite or not?

Is your bowl heated, and how large is it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try adding a small lettuce leaf to the tank, snails generally love lettuce. It may or may not go for it with the lights on but overnight it should have a nice feed on it. Remove any uneaten bits though at the first chance so as not to let them decay and cause water issues.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
My nerite ignored the spinach I put in for him two days ago. I should probably remove it now 'cause I don't think he's going to eat it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Mine sometimes eats the algae pellets. Not all of the time, though.

He does love cucumber! ^_^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts