Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently I posted about my new Betta and age. I just wanted to share the other fish I showed in that post Tigger. His progress over the last year. I don't have many pics from the winter, mostly videos. I can't seem to post videos. Background. I bought him last may from a breeder in Thailand. He isn't perfect but his face made me melt. He was 3.5mo old which will make him about 1.5yrs now. I'm amazed ant his change. In the latest pic you will see what looks like white markings, they are actually more lavender. He never lost the yellow, just colour produced on top of it. Or at least thats what I think. He is just such a happy fish that lives peacefully with his shrimp and torments his nerite snails all day. Lol. He's still a baby who likes to be fed from the tweezers at the top while I talk to him. He actually gets mad if I let the food drop.

Any info would be great on his recent colour change. He's actually changes since March which I find odd since he was about a yr old and I didn't think they changed much after that. Pics, top left is breeder pic, next is Aug 2019, bottom left is March 2020 me bottom right is July 2020.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
The blue and yellow koi color is really amazing. Tigger sure is awesome. I’ve had my galaxy koi since February and he hasn’t stopped changing. He is my first marble betta so I cant say from experience but I often see the mods explain that the marble gene is super unpredictable and he could continue changing throughout his life. I’m not sure if age really matters.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, the koi color pattern is due to the marble gene. Even actual koi gold fish which aren’t always that calico coloring will change color and patterns. Same with black Moore goldfish. A really good semi-stable line of black Moore will retain the black color they are famous for but even they can turn orange out of nowhere. To my knowledge as of right now there is no stable color in a betta with the marbling gene. I’m sure it is a goal from breeders who are focused on the koi colored bettas to make it more stable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts