Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I went to a high school that had a fish room and have bred betta fish before, but we always bred similar colored fish. I'm absolutely enamored with color genetics and want to breed my steel blue girl Ninja to a male that will produce some different colors. Any suggestions? (Obviously I'll be limited by what fish are available/healthy/good form, but I wasn't sure if there were colors I should avoid. I just dont want to end up with a bunch of identical steel blue fry and I'm not horribly familiar with betta genetics) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
If you want more color variety, breed a genetic combo color. If you breed single genetic colors (actually there is no such thing as "pure" genes. The term is used to simplify explanation) or base colors like turquoise/steel blue/royal blue (iridescent colors) or red, you will only produce a few combinations at most.

Regular color that gives more variety is the cambodian. Crossed to irids will give you irid red bicolor, cambodian with irid, pastel like colors, etc.

Copper is a metallic genetic combo color - steel blue based. Crossed to irids will give irids, whether solid or bicolored. You should also produce metallic irids (except royal blue), and copper. Crossed to cambodian will give similar result as irid x cambodian, plus metallic varieties.

Currently, marble is very popular. I don't know their commercial names, other than koi. Marble is an unpredictable gene that causes color change. But it also allows genes to combine irregularly - creating color combos like koi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts