Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fish friends,

I would like to hear your advice of pros and cons of dividing a tank or having separate tanks.

I'm definitely getting another tank. I have a 10 gallon now at work but I think I'll leave my new fish (soon to arrive) in there by himself.
I want one/two at home now too.... the question is do I get another 10 gallon and split it into two, or do I get a 5.5 (or 10 again...) for one fish and then get another tank (5.5 or 10 G) when I want another fishy?

I figured the most basic pros/cons would be:

Divided Tanks:
Pros: less equipment (one heater, one filter), less space
Cons: chance of disease spread if one gets sick

Separate Tanks:
Pros: Separate areas in case of sickness in one
Cons: more equipment... heater/filter for each, takes up more room

So basically, the pros of the one reflect the cons in the other and vice versa. Am I missing anything else? Does anyone have suggestions on which would be the route to go?

Divide or Multiply?

Maybe it doesn't matter in the end because I'll probably turn into that lady with 100 aquariums. Sigh.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Another thing to think about - my one male was very stressed out in a divided tank, so I put him back in his 3 gallon. You can definitely try to divide it - just keep an extra tank handy in case things don't work out, or at least be prepared to go out and get another tank. Some bettas do not do well if they can see another betta too frequently. Another con is some bettas are very persistent to get to the other side. Mine never did, but I've heard some people have had trouble with that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay, they are probably able to sense eachother being in the same water too I'm guessing? Even if they can't necessarily see eachother?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yeah, they can tell. It's the main reason we don't recommend dividing with male and female - they can tell. Especially if you use one of those DIY dividers that allow water to flow between the two sides, they can see each other or at least the shape of one another.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had a similar experience. One fish was completely stressed out, the other one didn't care about the fish on the other side of the mesh at all. I tried doubling up the mesh, adding extra plants, etc. I ended up separating them.
While they were in the divided tank together, I put a small piece of craft mesh on top of the divider so it sat like a "T" on top and kept them from trying to get over the divider.
I think it all depends on the temperament of the fish. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have 5 in all divided sections. Only one ever really flares at the others, but he flares at his rocks, his filter, and his plants, so I figure he's just a flarer. :) I think it's easier, but I do have a spare tank on hand in case one of them just decides he's not going to be in the divided tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts