Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Delta home from the local fish store about a month ago. I'm pretty sure he's bored in his 10G tank all by himself and needs some sort of fishy interaction. I would love to divide his tank and bring home another betta, but I'm working with limited space and funds and the only way to do that would be to divide Delta's current tank. Do you think downgrading him from 10G all by himself to 5G with a neighbor would be mean?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, first , he is definitely not lonely and loves being alone, so dont feel bad he has no friends, second, 10 gal is awesome for a betta but also huge, and 5 gal would be just as brilliant. So really it is up to you if you want another fish or not :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Cinderwolf! =] I'm pretty new to betta-keeping and I've gotten really attached to Delta so I'm hyper-paranoid about messing something up with his tank, haha. But bettas so addicting I definitely want a second one! I'll probably make a DIY divider and bring home the new boy by next week. :D Is there anything I should keep in mind when introducing the new betta to the tank?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You will want to quarantine him, not sure how long, may want to do a forum search about it to find out more. But you want to make sure he is healthy before putting him in the same water was Delta. Other than that, make sure the divider is secure and snug and acclimate him properly and make sure you make the divider high enough they cant jump over it.

Bust I have never had a divided tank before, so I would ask for more opinions or look up stuff about it. But many people do it sucessfully so you will do fine :D

I have been thinking about it, but I only have a 6 gallon, and not a fan of divided tanks, appearance wise, So I resist haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, that makes sense, wouldn't want Delta to catch anything the new fishy might bring home. I'm gonna do a forum search now; I'm so glad this forum is so thorough! :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Divide! Haha, I adore my divided tank :-D 5 gallons is plenty of space for 1 Betta. The 2 boys I have in my divided tank, love to swim near the divider following one another! Although neither flare :shock: It's cute!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
quarantine 2 weeks. That is the time most diseases or parasites will become apparent :) Then you can add him knowing he is healthy. Be warned some bettas with blow their fins, or bite their fins, if they always see their neighbor... Add lots of cover, tal and short :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Maybe that's why people always haves tail biters, like everyone on here divides their tanks.

1-2 weeks is fine, make sure his quarantine is heated. Filtered is optional, but it really needs to be heated.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
very possible xD I have a divided tank, but used coroplast which is very stiff so is snug in there... and they cannot see each other. But the other divided tank has a clear screen, and the one male is stressing his tank-buddy out :roll: and he's blown his fin -face palm-

·
Registered
416 Posts
I divided my tank to help my tailbiter......it's actually an upgrade from what my boys used to have....it's divided in a way where they don't see each other.....the tailbiter, I think, either does because he can or he's bored.....his fins are actually starting to grow a tiny bit and he's only slightly nibbled on his fins.....I'm still getting stuff to entertain both boys.
Here's the thread that shows my tank:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98702

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input, everyone! Hopeseeker, that's actually what I why I wanted to divide Delta's tank in the first place. I'm pretty sure he's nibbling on his tail (either that or getting caught in the filter's intake tube /facepalm) so I was hoping having a friend would keep him from being so bored.

I'm planning on picking up a one-gallon tank to quarantine the new guy in. How often should I do water changes when he's in quarantine? Sorry about all the questions (is a noob D:).

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I found that my fish were very happy in a divided tank (or just 2 tanks close to eachother) especially when it was a male and a female. Of course, this doesn't hold true in all cases...it really is an individual thing so you'll have to see how yours react.

On the tailbiting subject, I would steer away from making any broad generalizations. I had one who lived by himself in a 5.5 gallon tank and would tailbite regardless of being able to see his neighbors or not. I think he did it to reduce the weight of his tail. He was a rescue and had some very severe fin rot which I managed to clear up....his fins started growing back beautifully, and then the tailbiting started. For the rest of his life he would always tailbite every time his tail grew a bit longer. Sometimes they bite out of stress or boredom as well, which of course gives rise to a very broad spectrum of causative circumstances since what stresses one betta may be very different from what stresses another. Same thing for boredom.

As for quarantine, I'd say 2 weeks to be safe. I've never had uncycled tanks so the best advice I can give you for water changes is to test daily and change the water often enough to keep ammonia at 0 ppm.

Good luck! Post some pics of the new setup!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds a lot like what Delta did, actually. When I brought him home he was missing a good chunk of his tail. It started to grow back really nicely and then the tail biting started. Granted I also went away the weekend the tail biting started and put him on a different feeding schedule to make it easier on his sitter, so maybe that stressed him out? It's been a couple of weeks since then and his tail's still short and ragged looking so it's hard to tell if it's growing back or if he's still biting. :/

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Shiloh came with little bit of fins... and gashes on his face plate. His fins were growing back, he chewed them back down! I'm thinking he wasn't used to having fins again :lol: stuck him in a 20 gallon to occupy him, and he hasn't done it since...but his fins won't grow anymore than they have. He's like a wannabe plakat cross :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts