Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my betta likes to flare at almost anything that moves... the towel on his tank, me when I walk into the room or by his tank, his food, when I turn the lights off he flares at the wall, my phone, and even just randomly when he's swimming like he saw something.

Is it normal for them to do this??? I've not heard of it before so I wasn't sure!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yup. I have my boy and girls tanks right Next to each other and they flare a lot. I dont think its hurting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would you say its constant?
does he seem stressed?
Its pretty consistant. As it's gotten colder hes done less of the random flaring due to his lethargy.

I'm not sure if he's stressed or not. He's building bubble nests and eating normally (with the occasional day of being ultra picky as always)

I've heard you can partially tell by stress lines but I wouldn't know what those looked like

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yes! I don't remember the brand but its not adjustable (I'm looking into getting one next paycheck)

his tank is currently at around 72-74 depending on time of day. But he's done this before the cold weather too.

My avatar is a current picture of him idk if that would help

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'd definitely look into a better heater, make sure it's adjustable. Hydor Theos are a good brand and not expensive.

As for the flaring, be might be seeing his reflection in the glass, so you may have to cover some of the sides. Also some bettas will react to bright coloured gravel or decor. Try one thing at a time to see if you can figure out what is causing it.

Too much flaring can stress them out and leave them open to other illnesses. But some bettas are just very aggressive. My CT flares and wiggles as soon as I'm near his tank or even notices me looking at him.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would say if his fins look healthy then you should should be fine after you get him a better heater that can keep the tank 76-82 degrees F. In my experience you can tell something's not right by their fins.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His fins look alright, a little dark but could be cuz he's cold. I'm getting the new heater as soon as I get paid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts