Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmmm... I wouldn't risk putting so many females with one male. I normally wouldn't recommend putting males and females together, they can all pick on each over and although some owners who do this are lucky it's definitely something I wouldn't risk! You could end up with a dead betta :-( even if the tank was heavily planted I wouldn't recommend it. It could prove fatal and the bettas could sustain serious injuries.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If you get the mellow of the mellowest and put them in all at once than it will usually work. But you have to be pretty experienced and know how to read fish behavior. Also to find mellow fish. You will also need a place to put a bully fish, just in cause you get one. The tank also has to be VERY planted with A LOT of hiding and territory spots. This is something for more advanced hobbyist to try. I dont think you should do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ya most people wont. But if you think about it, it is almost exactly like a betta sorority. The females dont really like each other and there are threats of them killing each other. But people still do it and most of the time it works. Its just with a male in the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Best case scenario, you have a bunch of females fearfully avoiding the male or vice verse, most likely with frequent spawning resulting in hundreds of young bettas. What are you going to do with them? There's always a strong chance that the females will gang up on the male or the male will pick off females. I don't understand why you would even want to do it. If you want a group of bettas, then get all females.

I'm even beginning to see sororities falling out of favor here. Eve if you have everything perfect, something can randomly go wrong one day and you can end up with one or multiple dead or injured fish. Bettas come from massive rice paddies where they have plenty of room to themselves. I don't think they were made to live in groups in close quarters. From what I understand, bettas in sororities tolerate each other at best. Not saying all sororities are bad, but an all-female tank is risky enough. Putting a male in there is 100% asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Not really. They treat the male like another female. They swim right next to each other. There been fine for 2 years. I also have some cories so they eat the fry. Its just that not a lot of people like to try stuff they dont think will work.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Not really. It's that based on experience most fish keepers have found it doesn't work more than it does. Is it worth it to risk killing or mangling fish so you can say you had success? IMO it isn't.

However, I'm happy that there are those out there who've not had a problem and hope the experience continues to be positive.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not really. It's that based on experience most fish keepers have found it doesn't work more than it does. Is it worth it to risk killing or mangling fish so you can say you had success? IMO it isn't.

However, I'm happy that there are those out there who've not had a problem and hope the experience continues to be positive.
+1 for being well said. It won't be worth the lives potentially lost.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ya most people wont. But if you think about it, it is almost exactly like a betta sorority. The females dont really like each other and there are threats of them killing each other. But people still do it and most of the time it works. Its just with a male in the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most of the time it works? I guess that depends entirely on what ones definition of "working" is. Most of the time fish die in a "sorority", and they generally don't live to their life expectancy. The problem is that people don't share their failures like they do their "successes". Even many of those with successful tanks have experienced failures.

I'm always amazed at the inequality between male and female bettas. People are soooo concerned about stressing out their male bettas, and yet they'll throw female bettas into such a high stress environment with the threat of disease and death always looming overhead. Working? Tanks like that "work" till they don't.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
No lives would be lost. That is why you should have a place to put the betta or bettas that are having problems. Its the same as a sorority. Well most of the time it works.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Not really. They treat the male like another female. They swim right next to each other. There been fine for 2 years. I also have some cories so they eat the fry. Its just that not a lot of people like to try stuff they dont think will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
What type of cories do you have that eat fry? :shock:

Most people are just are just responsible enough not to put their animals into situations where they are likely to be mutilated and killed.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Look on the web. Do some more research before you just say ideas dont work. Also peppered, by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
No lives would be lost. That is why you should have a place to put the betta or bettas that are having problems. Its the same as a sorority.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am trying so hard to not come across as argumentative, but how can you say no lives would be lost? One would have to watch the tank 24/7.

+1 Jaysee. I am so happy that sororities are not enjoying the favor as before. I have several friends who tried them (with plenty of cover, plants, etc.), only to stop because of the stress and death.

NeptunesMom: A friend who raises show Guppies keeps Cories in his tank specifically because they don't eat live fry; just the ones already dead. They are quite popular with Guppy breeders for that reason.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Look on the web. Do some more research before you just say ideas dont work. Also peppered, by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't believe everything you read on the web. There are no gatekeepers to ensure people are actually spreading accurate information. You can create a website and spread whatever misinformation you want.

I can tell you if you came into my store and told me you were putting a male betta in with a herd of female bettas I would refuse to sell you a fish.

That's really strange, because while I know cories are omnivorous, I've never heard of them eating healthy swimming fry. In fact, I have never seen my cories even notice my hundreds of platy fry in their tank.

ETA: RussellTheShihTzu - Yeah, that's why I was surprised tankman12 identified cories as the way they keep their fry down. I've never heard of them eating living fry. I mean, I guess if they were super stressed they might.. but it's not normal.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
The trouble is if you are not there and things go wrong, the end result is usually a dead or dying fish.

I kept a male in a sorority. He was very young when I initially purchased him and very mellow. There were a couple of females he took exception to, but they were removed.

He must have lived in the sorority for around a year, maybe less, maybe more.

One day, I found him half-dead having had almost all his fins torn off and quite severe damage done to his body/scales. His beard had even been half pulled out, that was how viciously he'd been attacked.

He did start to recover when I separated him into a hospital tank, but died not very long after.

When things are going 'well' and for such a long period of time, you often don't expect that they can end so disastrously.

I guess it depends on how much attachment you have to your fish. Me, I would never do that again. It was horrific seeing the male in that condition, and it's why I never ever advise keeping splendens in mixed sex groups/pairs.

It's just not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I personally have a sorority myself and luckily so far its still working though its only been 7 months running. But I personally consider myself lucky and I think it has to do with the fact that they live in a 40 gallon. But like some of the above comments said no mater how well they tolerate each other its not like have a community tank with solely peacefull fish. Theres always a chance that something could go wrong.
And there is a higher chance of it going wrong then right.

In my personal opinion though, I would never think of putting a female betta in with a male betta. It's just to risky and is going to be stresfull on the fish. And I do unsterdand in very rare cases a person will have had success in this but that's not a very large group. Especialy since most people wont try it. I also think that if anything, if for some reason a person is dead set on trying this fully knowing the consiquences of what could happen, they should be experienced enough with betta fish and really understand there behavior and how to care for them, and know what to do if something goes wrong.
But if you really think about it in nature like people have said before, they live in rice paddies in nature. Lots of cover and lots of space to roam around and have a territory. In a tank if theres only so much room that a fish can have and only so much room that they can flee in. Aquariums are a confined space and not stretches of water that go on for miles. And something else to consider is that they are aggressive fish and were more so bred to be aggressive in the aquarium. Though that does not apply to all bettas it does mean that all of them have the potential and things can change in an instant.
Anyways thats all I have to say and my opinion of things.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Tankman, you are grossly underestimating how long it takes for a fish to kill another fish. Like was said, you simply can't watch the tank 24/7. Too, the very act of you watching the tank disrupts their behavior. you just can't always prevent fish from killing each other when thats what they want to do. One other thing for you to think about, is how bettas fight Not all bite - some tail slap, which does internal damage leading to a mysterious death. I'm sure this is how many a betta have met their end in such an arena.
I think you are also grossly underestimating the amount of research these people have done on the matter.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is the internet, so you could be saying whatever you want and we have no way of proving you've done it. But let's assume you have females and a male together and that cories eat the fry (which is virtually unheard of). You let your bettas go through the stress of breeding over and over? Breeding is a rough ordeal for bettas.

It's like putting a couple female and one male kingsnake together with a hedgehog and saying, "Hey, they leave each other alone and the hedgehog eats the babies." If by some miracle it works, that doesn't mean it's ideal or okay for the animals and it doesn't mean you should be encouraging other people to try it.

You tell us to look this idea up on the internet before trashing it, but this place is full of people who are betta experts and have been owning these fish for years, maybe decades. They know a lot more than most of the random people on Google who still think bettas live in puddles. When you Google a betta problem or question, this place is one of the first to come up. If people here are telling you that something is a bad idea, good chance it's a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts