Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at upgrading from a 2.5 gallon. I really want to get a 10 gallon but my parents definitely won't allow that....so I'm hoping to get them to agree to a larger tank for my boy (and also so they it will be "fine" if they do only one wc per week next year when I'm in college)

Now that I'm done babbling...sorry if it's a little long or confusing or unimportant haha...

I was just wondering if anyone has or has had this tank and if they would recommend it??

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11459461&lmdn=Fish+Sale&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

(I really hope the link works!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's exactly what my boy lives in! I've had it set up for about 2 years now and have really enjoyed it. The only downside to the package is the filter that came with it--it was way too powerful, I use it now in my 10 gallon. I can't find the filter that I bought to replace it online :( I also eventually had to replace the hood because I broke the light fixture when cleaning out the tank. Overall it's a pretty good deal though, and I love mine!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have just the tank and the light. I really only like Fluval filters and I can baffle the outflow easier if my fish doesn't like it. But then again, I actually have the size 10-20 gal filter, so the flow is stronger. Either way, it's a great tank. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this tank too. I agree about the filter- it's pretty strong, but I've got some extra sponges stuffed in there, plus a water bottle baffle, and it never causes my boy any trouble unless I let the water level get too low. I also switched the light bulb to a fluorescent one because the incandescent one that came with it tended to cause too great a water temperature fluctuation.

Other than that, I think it's a nice, serviceable tank, it's a good size for my desk, and my boy enjoys zooming around in it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know how you feel about convincing parents. Right now I'm trying to convince them to let me get a 10 gallon to divide between boys or make a sorority. I've done all he reaserch

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know how you feel about convincing parents. Right now I'm trying to convince them to let me get a 10 gallon to divide between boys or make a sorority. I've done all he reaserch
Why do they have to be so darn hard to convince?! Especially when it will be easier to maintain a larger tank!....they just don't get it!.. Silly parents haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have that one as well. I did switch the hob that it came with for a sponge filter, also I use a glass versa top with fluorescent light strips for my plants. I like the tank just fine :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hate convincing parents. My teacher told me that he had to get rid of his 55 and that I could have it because he knew I had fish. I asked my parents, measured it out in my room, then they said "What about food and fish and everything?" They did not know that the tank was 100 percent setup, fish and stand included. Sometimes I think getting a horse would be easier!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I stay away from topfin, the two last one I bought were so cheap, one of them was cracked and the other cracked 3 months after I bought it... (and I'm very gentle and careful with my tanks...)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate convincing parents. My teacher told me that he had to get rid of his 55 and that I could have it because he knew I had fish. I asked my parents, measured it out in my room, then they said "What about food and fish and everything?" They did not know that the tank was 100 percent setup, fish and stand included. Sometimes I think getting a horse would be easier!
Wow! A 55??? That's awesome! Haha but of course parents had to get in the way...*sigh* haha I definitely agree that getting a horse would probably be easier!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stay away from topfin, the two last one I bought were so cheap, one of them was cracked and the other cracked 3 months after I bought it... (and I'm very gentle and careful with my tanks...)
...dang! I might have to rethink this then...what brand do you have/recommend? (Thanks for the reply btw! :) )

·
Registered
423 Posts
depend of the price range honestly. I'm a sucker for everything Fluval ($$), but the others from Hagen (Marina is cheaper) I never had a problem either so far.

I also had a friend who bought some marineland tanks that held up for years :)

there's also the good ol Kijiji or craiglist ;) TONES of tank and sometime you can get a good deal if your not scared of using elbow grease to clean them :)

but it really depend what you want to do with them, if you want to go planted or not it might be better to buy a empty tank and get the rest later (filters, heaters and what not)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have two of those tanks and they're wonderful. One I've had for three years, the other for almost one year now. I agree the filter is a bit strong and it wears out quickly, but I prefer Aqueon Quietflow filters anyway, so that's what I have replaced mine with. Also, I don't care for the light that comes with the kit, but it's easy enough to buy a new bulb. I recommend it!

Lurkermom - I think you may have just had a bad experience, unfortunately. I know a lot of people who have these tanks and they've held up great!

Just cause I'm proud of them... these are how my two 5.5 gallons are decorated. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depend of the price range honestly. I'm a sucker for everything Fluval ($$), but the others from Hagen (Marina is cheaper) I never had a problem either so far.

I also had a friend who bought some marineland tanks that held up for years :)

there's also the good ol Kijiji or craiglist ;) TONES of tank and sometime you can get a good deal if your not scared of using elbow grease to clean them :)

but it really depend what you want to do with them, if you want to go planted or not it might be better to buy a empty tank and get the rest later (filters, heaters and what not)
Aright thanks! I'll look at some of those tanks and see if I can find one. I wasn't planning on doing a planted tank (right now anyway ;)) because I'm leaving next year for college and my parents would have to take care of them and....don't tell them this but.....I don't fully trust them ;) hahaha

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have two of those tanks and they're wonderful. One I've had for three years, the other for almost one year now. I agree the filter is a bit strong and it wears out quickly, but I prefer Aqueon Quietflow filters anyway, so that's what I have replaced mine with. Also, I don't care for the light that comes with the kit, but it's easy enough to buy a new bulb. I recommend it!

Lurkermom - I think you may have just had a bad experience, unfortunately. I know a lot of people who have these tanks and they've held up great!

Just cause I'm proud of them... these are how my two 5.5 gallons are decorated. :)
I love your tanks Seki! Hmm...I think if I can convince my parents i might try the top fin and if it's a bad one I'll return it and try another brand :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Looks like a great tank! Haha, my mom usually depends on her mood. When she's in an 'okay' mood, she'll be like 'It's your money you can buy whatever you want, just take care of it.' Then when she's in an awful mood she's like 'nO MORE FISH EVER JUST NO' xD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts