Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new Topfin 5.5 gallon tank (which is still cycling), and it came with a Topfin 10 filter. I'm starting to think this filter is way to powerful because when I sprinkle food, it gets whirled around and pushed to the gravel within seconds like a hurricane! I was thinking of buying another air pump tubing and Y-valve to go in the 5.5 (I currently have a Tetra Whisper 10 pump for my 10 gal). But that's just for aeration and not actual filtering...right? Does my 5.5 tank need a HOB filter or is just an air pump ok? I know bettas are weak swimmers compared to tetras, so what should I do? Get a different filter or go with air pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have the exact same tank, and filter, and all I did was cram a little foam into the out-flow with a rubber band, and the betta in my avatar pic has no porblems swimming about his tank (he has huge fins!..oh look the filter tube is behind him lolxD), and his little pellets do whirl around the top a little, but they dont get blown down. i was afraid it was too strong at first, but its really nice because it just sucks everything up lol.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I usually stuff a little filter sponge in the intake to reduce the flow. I actually had a filter made for 20 gal tanks on a 5 gal for a while, and this reduced the flow enough for two bettas to live in there. :)

Yeah, you need an actual filter for any effect on the ammonia/nitrites - air stones don't provide the surface area that beneficial bacteria need to grow. Bettas don't really need aeration anyway, since they breathe from the surface. Most other fish do, though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you are buying air line tubing and a y valve you can also buy a sponge filter and it will be a filter not just an aerator. It has to cycle just like any other filter and doesn't generate any current, but will make the surface move from the bubbles (can be adjusted with a air line pressure valve). I have floaters in my betta's tank that uses a sponge filter and when I feed I poke the water between some floaters to clear a spot and feed there. If I put food out in the 'open water' area it won't get pushed under but get moved back by the floaters pretty quickly. My betta has no problem finding food either way, he just fllows my finger to see where i drop and spots it once food hits the water.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So I got a new Topfin 5.5 gallon tank (which is still cycling), and it came with a Topfin 10 filter. I'm starting to think this filter is way to powerful because when I sprinkle food, it gets whirled around and pushed to the gravel within seconds like a hurricane! I was thinking of buying another air pump tubing and Y-valve to go in the 5.5 (I currently have a Tetra Whisper 10 pump for my 10 gal). But that's just for aeration and not actual filtering...right? Does my 5.5 tank need a HOB filter or is just an air pump ok? I know bettas are weak swimmers compared to tetras, so what should I do? Get a different filter or go with air pump? Thanks!

Believe it or not, you can actually still (thankfully!) get a good old fashioned box filter for only a couple of bucks. You could also use a sponge filter which is quite popular for use with bettas. If you have one or the other you don't need a HOB filter.
There are some cool little box filters made by a Japanese company which I use on some of my tanks. I like them because the bubbles coming out of them are tiny compared with the older boxes. They come in several colors and they are prefilled with media. They even have a section with small stones at the bottom which you don't change and is a great place for that good bacteria.

I have these in blue;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-J...ift-type-Submersible-Bio-Filter-/251178954437

And here is a new type which i haven't seen before:
http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Roka...F8&qid=1412962228&sr=8-1&keywords=roka+filter

The nice thing is you can open these up and change out the media.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your replies! I used a water bottle baffle and it made a HUGE difference! I just got my new betta Perseus today and the baffle allowed him to actually explore the tank without being pushed around! He loves his new home! I will also put a sponge on the intake to slow down the current.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts