Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one responded here is what I determined. I started using this filter and it doesn’t seem too strong. I did not baffle like previous filter and my baby betta seems just fine. However the lack of flow has me wondering about how good of a job it’s doing so I will keep an eye on that. I like that it is big and you. can fit extra media in it. I’ve been using an additional older smaller filter cartridge with bacteria on it in my small tanks so I’m never taking out too much bacteria when swapping one cartridge out. I do have to swap them out often as I find them falling apart and getting nasty quick since they are quiet tiny. Don’t have this issue in my 15 gallon! Working like a charm so far! I could always buy some filter sponge and stick in as well..but it’s working for now!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been looking at this tank since I saw it on sale at Petsmart- my grandmother wants a betta too now, haha. Glad to know it's an okay deal, but also worried- I'm totally gonna end up being that person who has twenty tanks in various places all over the house if I'm not careful :D It would be nice to have one as a backup hospital tank too, especially since the filter isn't too strong.

You probably know this, but you don't have to use the charcoal cartridges at all unless you're cleaning medication out of the water. I just bought some kitchen sponges (make sure they aren't presoaked with any chemicals) from the dollar store and cut them to fit the inside of the filter for our 10 gallon. To clean I just swish them in some tank water during a water change about once a month.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking at this tank since I saw it on sale at Petsmart- my grandmother wants a betta too now, haha. Glad to know it's an okay deal, but also worried- I'm totally gonna end up being that person who has twenty tanks in various places all over the house if I'm not careful :D It would be nice to have one as a backup hospital tank too, especially since the filter isn't too strong.

You probably know this, but you don't have to use the charcoal cartridges at all unless you're cleaning medication out of the water. I just bought some kitchen sponges (make sure they aren't presoaked with any chemicals) from the dollar store and cut them to fit the inside of the filter for our 10 gallon. To clean I just swish them in some tank water during a water change about once a month.
So as I am having this tank longer, I wish I would have just got an Aquaview tank from Walmart, the main reason I didn't was the dimensions I needed. Anyhow, I do not think the filter is strong enough. It's not too strong for a betta but at the same time I don't know it's really doing anything with the water.

I had similar issue with my 3 gallon from Walmart, the filter wasn't strong enough...I took that filter and was using it in temp 1 gallon and it was perfect so now I'm going to use that same one for this tank and if that isn't sufficient I will probably get another Aqueon E Quietflow.

The Top Fin filter was barely dribbling when I got home today and the water quality was not too great. Also they make the tank such that it is hard to configure things because the filter that comes with it has a specific spot on the tank that it fits into and the filter itself can only hang on that spot (not that I would want to use it anywhere else because I don't think it works lol) I don't like that they try to force you into using their supplied filter and cartridges with the tank!

So annoyed! But I do like the shape, the LED lights, and the size works...so I'm going to attempt to make it work for now for at least a little bit to get my money out. I also noticed when I was doing water changes that some water was coming through the top rim. Makes me worry that it has the potential to leak. It was a really great deal but I think the Walmart tanks are constructed better.

Well there's my review lol!:laugh:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it could make a good hospital tank, I don't know about long term...I have my one gallon make shift tank in case things go south...If I buy another tank my husband is going to think I'm nutty lol. I don't know how I got away with three so far. If I had more space and outlets, I'd probably have like 20 myself!

·
Registered
85 Posts
@bettatanksalot Oooh, thanks for the extra detail, maybe I'll skip it after all and just get one of the slightly larger tank kits then, I really don't much care for tanks that can't be reconfigured at all, and that leak potential puts me right off.

I had a secondhand five gallon originally and I found out it was leaking when one of the seams peeled apart overnight and leaked about a gallon and a half onto my carpet before I realized *facepalm* I'm not ready to do that again lol.

I've only been back into fishkeeping for six months and we have a five and a ten gallon but I just know I'm not gonna be able to hold myself back once my tax refund gets here. I always *say* that if I need a hospital tank I'll just use one of the plastic tubs we have, but honestly I want something nicer to look at. Plus I have a spare heater that's brand new. It'd be a shame not to use it, right? ;D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@blackbirds desperate for more tank space! My mom saw a 10 gallon for 6 bucks second hand but I'm in a condo with too many people and pets already! I agree not sure this tank is worth the risk luckily I'm able to watch it closely for now. I don't think it's leaking from the bottom and I leave room for air at top, maybe I was careless and spilled over the top but I swear I saw it come through top rim. Hoping to get the water quality back in check, dosed prime...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@blackbirds it's funny once you get some extra equipment it's like lets start a hospital tank then that turns into another tank haha then you need a new hospital tank and the cycle continues 🙂

·
Registered
85 Posts
@bettatanksalot I hear ya on both fronts. I live with my family (5 people total, including my disabled grandmother) in a small apartment and seriously these spaces are not designed for fishkeeping. If mom and I had our way we'd have a 55 gallon but it's like... where the heck would I put it? The kitchen table? So much for family dinners LOL. At least a small hospital tank would probably fit on top of my dresser though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts