5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food: pellets, brine shrimp
What food brand do you use? Ocean nutrition
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4-5 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 5 days or so
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Half substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH:7.6
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes, torn fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

I recently just got this betta a week ago. It’s in a fully cycled 5 gallon tank. He seems very active and healthy although his fins are all ripped up as of today. I think I can rule out fin rot as this all happened so fast. Next thought would be the decorations although they do not seem very stiff/sharp to the point where it would rip them and it also has not been an issue the past week. Any thoughts on what causes this/what I should do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi, he got torn on something.

Give him some indian almond leaf or plain decaffeinated rooibos tea, either one helps with stress and is also anti bacterial and anti fungal.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
565 Posts
Looks like it could of been from the plants. Run some pantyhose/mesh over them, if it tears the mesh it will also tear the fins. Better options are silk and live plants. I get mine from the local craft store and the walmart fake plant section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it could of been from the plants. Run some pantyhose/mesh over them, if it tears the mesh it will also tear the fins. Better options are silk and live plants. I get mine from the local craft store and the walmart fake plant section.
Thanks! Is it safe to say that you can use regular fake silk plants that are not made specifically for aquariums? My only worry would be that they would possibly leak some chemicals/dyes in to the water?

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
565 Posts
Most of them are safe, yes! Just use the plainer ones-the ones that are brightly colored may not be. I haven't had any issues with the ones I got from walmart, I can send you a pic if you want

1 - 5 of 5 Posts