Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this isn't an emergency, but my halfmoon betta boy seems to always tear his fins during water changes. I assume it's because he's trying to swim away from me and the net or cup so vigourosly that he "blows" his fins. He heals the rips within a few days and seems perfectly healthy otherwise, but I'd like to know if there's any way to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't chase him with the cup. Try to coax him in. Don't use a net because a net will damage fins. I put the cup behind mine and gently tap the side and they usually go in fine. If not I remove some water so they have less room to run.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll get rid of the net and try to take it slow for the next water change. He's such a resistant and fast little thing, he didn't even fall for the "food in cup as bait" trick the last time I tried it, nor does lowering the water level make him any easier to catch (which is why I recently bought a net in the first place).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
fast little stinker eh? It takes time. Keep trying with the cup and move slower. He will eventually get used to it. My Red swims into the cup now when I lower it. It's hilarious. He's like, "Okay mom, time to clean my room"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts