Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides pingpong balls (my boy doesn't like them), mirrors (I just hold up my compact mirror and let him flare at it for a few moments); what else can I put in the tank for my fish to play with?

Is there anything that I can leave in the tank for him to play with? Any products that I could introduce him to?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this question also!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Petco has a Floating betta log that mine absolutely loves. Or loved, it sank about 3 months later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Petco has a Floating betta log that mine absolutely loves. Or loved, it sank about 3 months later.
I had one of these for my betta, and the paint started to chip off and was floating on top of the water. I called the company that makes them and they said that they knew that they did that but there was nothing they could do!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had one of these for my betta, and the paint started to chip off and was floating on top of the water. I called the company that makes them and they said that they knew that they did that but there was nothing they could do!!!!
Yes it turned out to be a disappointment because mine loved it so much. I have some aquarium safe silicone and I'm going to try to spread it all over the log and reseal it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine loves his marimo moss balls. He likes to push the smallest ones around the bottom of the tank.
To keep a marimo in a tank, do you need anything to keep it alive? A filtration system or a heater? Anything specific? What are the requirements?

·
Registered
103 Posts
To keep a marimo in a tank, do you need anything to keep it alive? A filtration system or a heater? Anything specific? What are the requirements?
Marimos are pretty hardy. I rinse mine in old tank water and squeeze them out every now and then. They need just a bit of light, but nothing too strong or they'll turn super dark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marimos are pretty hardy. I rinse mine in old tank water and squeeze them out every now and then. They need just a bit of light, but nothing too strong or they'll turn super dark.
Hm. I did some reading on them just now and they seem like that much of a hassle. I've been meaning to change up my boy's tank decoration, since the only plant I have in it is a fake and its plastic. He had such a lovely tail and I don't want them to get torn. So, while I buy a fabric plant, I could buy a marimo. What's the overall price for one?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Craft mesh tied into a tube makes a great safe floating tunnel.
You can try to grow moss or plants on it, but I'm not sure how well it'll float without styrofoam added to the top.

If you knock out the bottom of a terra cotta flowerpot and sand the edges, that's another tunnel toy for the bottom of the tank.

If you clean them really well, gatcha capsules filled with sequins or small toys and filled with just enough water that the clear part stays under the water's surface makes a great alternative to pingpong balls.

Cheapo laser lights are also another great option (avoid the really powerful/bright ones as they can do damage just pointing on skin)
Shine them on plants or toys and your fish will probably go crazy like mine do.
Just be careful not to shine it in their eyes.

Also, marimo balls are usually kept in decorated jars without much care.

My recommended preparation for marimos being put into fish tanks goes like this:
day 1: soak in untreated tap water.
day 2: squeeze out tap water from the marimo and soak into old tank water:
day 3 , 4, 5: squeeze out old tank water from the marimo and replace with new tank water
day 6: squeeze out old water from the marimo and pop into the tank

The tap water removes any hitchhikers like snails that might be on the marimo as chlorine in tap water is harmful to snails and such.
Then soaking in old tank water for 3 days and squeezing out old tank water to replace with more old tank water removes the chlorine to make it safe for your fish tank

During every water change, just squeeze the marimo into you old tank water that you've removed from the tank, and pop the marimo back in the tank.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Craft mesh tied into a tube makes a great safe floating tunnel.
You can try to grow moss or plants on it, but I'm not sure how well it'll float without styrofoam added to the top.

If you knock out the bottom of a terra cotta flowerpot and sand the edges, that's another tunnel toy for the bottom of the tank.

If you clean them really well, gatcha capsules filled with sequins or small toys and filled with just enough water that the clear part stays under the water's surface makes a great alternative to pingpong balls.

Cheapo laser lights are also another great option (avoid the really powerful/bright ones as they can do damage just pointing on skin)
Shine them on plants or toys and your fish will probably go crazy like mine do.
Just be careful not to shine it in their eyes.

Also, marimo balls are usually kept in decorated jars without much care.

My recommended preparation for marimos being put into fish tanks goes like this:
day 1: soak in untreated tap water.
day 2: squeeze out tap water from the marimo and soak into old tank water:
day 3 , 4, 5: squeeze out old tank water from the marimo and replace with new tank water
day 6: squeeze out old water from the marimo and pop into the tank

The tap water removes any hitchhikers like snails that might be on the marimo as chlorine in tap water is harmful to snails and such.
Then soaking in old tank water for 3 days and squeezing out old tank water to replace with more old tank water removes the chlorine to make it safe for your fish tank

During every water change, just squeeze the marimo into you old tank water that you've removed from the tank, and pop the marimo back in the tank.

Good advice. I never thought of the laser pointer. A couple of dogs ago my cocker would chase a flashlight spot on the floor, low down on the walls. He would even jump somewhat for a spot higher on the wall.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've heard that some bettas like to roll marbles around the tank so maybe you could try that or some bettas like to watch things move outside their tank like a flashing lights for swinging string. I float soda bottle caps in may tanks sometimes and my bettas have always liked them more than ping pong balls. Drawing something on the tank in wet erase marker may also be interesting for your betta. I drew a flower on my tank once and my betta was flaring and trying to eat it then he tried figuring out what it was. I left it on there for a day or two and he seemed almost sad when it was gone. It didn't stain my tank so you shouldn't be worried about that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts