Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Mango(female betta in 10 gallon tank) nitro(hound mutt male) nutmeg(treeing Tennessee brindle female
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about a week after I got my new betta I got strep then covid I got better and now I am bed bound for a while .-. Fun times. My health hates me. ANYWAY I got bored and started to play around with mango my female. SoOooOoOo I was feeling well Um stuck so I fed mango from some tweezers for breakfast. And she ACTUALLY ATE, like from the tweezers and now I am attempting to train a fish(oh heck I sound stupid I’m probably gonna write this all out then delete it all because I sound cRaZy) anyway I’d love some advice if anyone else speaks my language of pure delusions and insanity. Im definitely not gonna google hoe to train a betta or anything

·
Registered
SIP Flash, you beautiful boy!!!
1,276 Posts
Lol!!! I hope you get well soon...sounds like you have been through a lot!!! 🤧

I did train a couple of mine to eat pellets off of my fingers. The problem with that is that they expect it every time, and they end up jumping, which I do not like. I have read too many accounts of bettas jumping out of tanks, and that is not a behavior that I want to encourage.... 🙄

·
Registered
7 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 1 Madagascar hisser, 3 Halloween hissers
3,488 Posts
Aw I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather, I hope you get better soon!

Most of my boys are tweezer fed, I currently say "most" because I'm still working on teaching two of my three recently adopted boys.

But, it can be done! You're not crazy for wanting to try it. Most people either use a turkey baster or tweezers to feed their Betta kids the more.. unpleasant to the touch.. foods. So it's not uncommon!

For tweezer training, I've found that I'll just keep food on it to get their attention and let them approach on their own. If they're more nervous I'll reward them with a pellet if they approach it, even if they don't take the food. If they take the food, well, they've been rewarded lol

If you're wanting other ideas(?), you can train her to follow your finger, to swim through hoops, jump to get food and/or to eat off your finger.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
Mango(female betta in 10 gallon tank) nitro(hound mutt male) nutmeg(treeing Tennessee brindle female
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol!!! I hope you get well soon...sounds like you have been through a lot!!! 🤧

I did train a couple of mine to eat pellets off of my fingers. The problem with that is that they expect it every time, and they end up jumping, which I do not like. I have read too many accounts of bettas jumping out of tanks, and that is not a behavior that I want to encourage.... 🙄
I have a lid on my tank just I case she jumps lol my last male who passed a few days ago did something to his spine by doing that so I am taking precautions:)

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather, I hope you get better soon!

Most of my boys are tweezer fed, I currently say "most" because I'm still working on teaching two of my three recently adopted boys.

But, it can be done! You're not crazy for wanting to try it. Most people either use a turkey baster or tweezers to feed their Betta kids the more.. unpleasant to the touch.. foods. So it's not uncommon!

For tweezer training, I've found that I'll just keep food on it to get their attention and let them approach on their own. If they're more nervous I'll reward them with a pellet if they approach it, even if they don't take the food. If they take the food, well, they've been rewarded lol

If you're wanting other ideas(?), you can train her to follow your finger, to swim through hoops, jump to get food and/or to eat off your finger.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! Both for the advice and get better section:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
There’s lots of things you can teach a betta to do. I taught my first betta to swim through my fingers while they were in a hoop shape, to flare on command, and to chase my finger along the glass (that one was easy). That was when I had lots of time to spend with my fish

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,690 Posts
Yeah, you're not crazy...! I taught Espresso follow my finger, jump, recognise his name, swim through hoops and tunels, eat from my fingers, play limbo and something else I can't describe in English. @Hania41806, how did you teach your betta flare on command?
Also, I hope you get better soon, @Newbie-!

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, you're not crazy...! I taught Espresso follow my finger, jump, recognise his name, swim through hoops and tunels, eat from my fingers, play limbo and something else I can't describe in English. @Hania41806, how did you teach your betta flare on command?
That’s quite impressive betta4ever!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a little toy i would provoke him with and as soon as he'd flare id give him a bloodworm. it took a while but eventually he just started flaring at the toy when i brought it near.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts