Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a betta recently and I notice this discoloration in the edges of the fins. Is this normal? The little guy is active and eating and it seams to be ok but I'm worried.

Thanks in advance

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5
Does it have a filter? yes, AquaClear 30
Does it have a heater? No, I live in Florida
What temperature is your tank? 77-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No. I do have a small surface skimmer that I use for 5 minutes every day to clean the surface.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes, Blood worms once a week, sometimes two.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30 / 40%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Yes I vacuum the sand to remove all waste.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime and Stability

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-20
pH: 7.8
Hardness (GH): 75
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I just noticed it but he could have been
like that from day one.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Transparent tail edges
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No he is active and eating.
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I don't know
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I don't think so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
1,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for feeling the form! I must tell you that you are taking amazing care of your baby! He is beautiful! His colors remind me of J(SIP boy). Anyways, the transparent at his tail is completely normal, he is just growing more fins! In the pet store, bettas dont get the proper care they need, and their fins just don't grow very big. When you put them in the tank, where they have clean and warm water, their fins sometimes grow bigger. I really can't describe it better in english (i'm from greece), but the important think is that its not an illness!! And, forgot to say, he looks a biiiiiiit over-fed, so try feeding him a bit less(i must tell you this is also something you souldn't woory much about, it has happened many times with my babies!). May he live a long and happy life with you, and bring you much joy(i'm sure he will)!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
By the way, is he a double tail? Just trying to do some practice at identifying tail types, because i'm too bad at it, lol!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhhh I'm so happy he is not sick but growing! Thank you so much for the quick reply @betta4ever! Don't worry your english is perfect (anyway, english is not my first language either). It's the first time I have a betta fish but I'm enjoying him so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, is he a double tail? Just trying to do some practice at identifying tail types, because i'm too bad at it, lol!
Yes he is a Double Tail :) and since you are an expert I would like to ask you a couple of question.

1. Should I feed him just once a day? I feed him tiny pellets twice a day (around 7 each time) and just once a day if I feed him worms.

2. Should I add an air stone? I have another tank in the upper rack with a pump and a sponge filter and It would be very easy to just add a new line and an air stone for my betta tank. The thing is... he does't seam to enjoy too much flow and the filter is probably too powerful for a 5.5 gallon tank.

Rectangle Liquid Gas Art Wood

3. He is persistently building a bubble nest. The skimmer destroys it but he builds it again in a different corner. Should I get a female betta? I still have space in the rack for another 5.5 gallon.

Thanks in advance @betta4ever! I would love to see pictures of your babies.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
1. Should I feed him just once a day? I feed him tiny pellets twice a day (around 7 each time) and just once a day if I feed him worms.
twice a day, but maybe around 5 pellets?!
2. Should I add an air stone? I have another tank in the upper rack with a pump and a sponge filter and It would be very easy to just add a new line and an air stone for my betta tank. The thing is... he does't seam to enjoy too much flow and the filter is probably too powerful for a 5.5 gallon tank.
there is no reason to put an air stone, and i also think he won't enjoy the flow.
3. He is persistently building a bubble nest. The skimmer destroys it but he builds it again in a different corner. Should I get a female betta? I still have space in the rack for another 5.5 gallon.
you mean breed them? I'd not recomend it, if you are a bigginer... but you can, after a ton of research! If you do this research, you'll easily understand that you'll need a looooot more than just a 5 gallon. If you are interested in breeding, indjo can help you a lot with that!
and since you are an expert
me- an expert?? Well, i don't think so!! lol
Thanks in advance @betta4ever! I would love to see pictures of your babies.
glad i could help! J, (he passed away 3 weeks ago) is my profile pic. And this is my current baby, Espresso!
Plant Natural environment Botany Twig Branch

And this is Mango(he died 2 years ago...)
Plant Pollinator Nature Green Botany

I also have a german blue ram pair!
Plant Organism Pet supply Insect Fish
Water Plant Natural environment Organism Terrestrial plant

And a guppy, wich i was never able to photo- he's to fast for my camera, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about your boy J but Espresso is stunning!!! Does that color pattern have a name?

German blue RAMS!!! I like them a lot, but I don't feel ready for cichlids yet. 😅 What size is the tank you have that pair in?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boy J but Espresso is stunning!!! Does that color pattern have a name?
thanks! May he swim in peace... And thanks again!! its koi galaxy plakat!!
German blue RAMS!!! I like them a lot, but I don't feel ready for cichlids yet. 😅 What size is the tank you have that pair in?
to be honest, I first had success with rams, then with bettas- in reality, i'm still having a hard time with bettas lol. Its all about ph, and a really well- cycled tank. ph-6.5, nitrates-5, and you are ready to go for the rams! My tank is a 15 gallon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts