Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going away to camp for 7 weeks this summer and i can not trust my dad to feed both my fish... he couldnt even keep a plant alive for 3 weeks last summer... so i really dont know what to do.. ive learned it should be safe to move them if there going to be up in maine in the same spot for 7 weeks straight and were going up to the camp in one trip.. but how to i transport them there... ive seen fish bags and cirrter carriers but nothing for a 6 hour drive... please help i want my fish to be safe..

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I once took one of my bettas for a very long drive(probably 5 or 6 hours). I kept him in a Tupperware container that I opened on occasion to refresh the air... I will never do that again, I was holding him the whole time trying to act as shocks....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
okay this is what I did. it wasn't that long of a trip but it was cold like 10 degrees. I got a betta and went to my grandmas for the evening I floated the cup in a 1g heated container. Then before we left I wrapped his cup in a towel and stuck him back in the container. It held the heat. We drove to the airport 20 minutes away. he stayed out in the cold car though on the heated seat for about 30 minutes. Then he made the 1 1/2 drive back to my house. It worked well he didn't appear to stressed I kept him in my lap to avoid to much splashing of water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they really have to come with me.. there is no one that i know who will be around for 7 weeks this summer... the road was pretty flat last year i went to the camp... and it will be summer and we go from my house right to the camp.. is there some type of container i could buy (one for each) that would keep them safe?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the temperature shouldnt be a problem and once they get up there they will be back in there normal tanks.. i also am planning to bring water from my house up to the camp to fill the tanks with when we get there..

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think the kritter keepers would be fine. I would just take out any plants, subtrate or anything else. I would keep them as warm as you can. 7 hours isn't to bad it's long, but I think they can survive it. Betta's have traveled longer distances then that and for longer periods.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I think the kritter keepers would be fine. I would just take out any plants, subtrate or anything else. I would keep them as warm as you can. 7 hours isn't to bad it's long, but I think they can survive it. Betta's have traveled longer distances then that and for longer periods.
I agree with this. :) I would suggest getting hold of some java moss, if you can, and putting that in the tank during the trip. It will give them somewhere soft to hide. Cover the tanks with a blanket or towel, too - they get less stressed during travel if they are in the dark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.