Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about two weeks I'll be moving back to my dorm room to start school. Hamster and Gecko are set for the move with Bingo's box and Mouse can just stay in his cage, but I'm not sure the safest way to tansport my betta, pleco, and snail.

It will be about a five hour trip, driving alone, and then they'll probably be set up in the three gallon for a day or so before I move into my dorm room, where the ten gallon will be set up again. I did some searching online, but I wasn't sure what method was the best one to use, or if I could even go through with it with the materials I have at hand.

~Put fish in a cooler, to help keep the temperature constant. I do not know if I have a cooler at my disposal for this D': On the way up, I held shark the whole time in the cup we got him in, so the car vibration wasn't so bad. I want to stress him out less this trip, and this time I'm coming home with a tiny snail and a Pleco a bit over an inch long.

Any suggestions? Would transporting them in the three gallon be a good idea at all? It's one of the plastic (acrylic?) aquariums. I was also considering putting whatever they were in, into a box with some shavings or hay to help keep the car vibration at a minimum. My leopard gecko got carsick on the way here, after three hours in the car ;-;'

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The betta is the easy one. You can put him in a cup, wrap the sides of his cup in an old towel, and set him snugly in a small box. Set the box on the floorboards and there you go! He should be able to make the trip like that just fine.

The Pleco and the snail are a little trickier. Its been a while since I transported non-labyrinth fish, though years ago when we were moving quite frequently and toting around a 46 gallon community take we simply tossed everyone in a bucket with some tank water and away we went. We never moved quite that far with those fish however, maybe an hour at the most, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the very best method but none of us knew better at the time.

Personally, if it were me in your position, what I would do is fill the 3 gallon part way, about four inches or so, of tank water for the snail and the Pleco to make the trip in. I would then add in a couple drops of Prime water conditioner to help detoxify the ammonia produced by both throughout the trip, and then go pick up a small battery-powered air pump and an air stone to provide some oxygen for them through the long trip. Then, I would wrap the three gallon in an old towel or two and settle it snugly into a separate box and then just set it on the floorboards like the betta.
Personally, I would think that that would work alright for a five hour trip, though I can't be positive if that would be the best or most effective method....its just what I would do based on my own knowledge.

Also, just a side note....if thats a common Pleco you have, you are aware they get pretty large, make a huge mess, and don't really eat algae yes? Even youngsters aren't recommended to keep for very long in small aquariums...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The betta is the easy one. You can put him in a cup, wrap the sides of his cup in an old towel, and set him snugly in a small box. Set the box on the floorboards and there you go! He should be able to make the trip like that just fine.

The Pleco and the snail are a little trickier. Its been a while since I transported non-labyrinth fish, though years ago when we were moving quite frequently and toting around a 46 gallon community take we simply tossed everyone in a bucket with some tank water and away we went. We never moved quite that far with those fish however, maybe an hour at the most, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the very best method but none of us knew better at the time.

Personally, if it were me in your position, what I would do is fill the 3 gallon part way, about four inches or so, of tank water for the snail and the Pleco to make the trip in. I would then add in a couple drops of Prime water conditioner to help detoxify the ammonia produced by both throughout the trip, and then go pick up a small battery-powered air pump and an air stone to provide some oxygen for them through the long trip. Then, I would wrap the three gallon in an old towel or two and settle it snugly into a separate box and then just set it on the floorboards like the betta.
Personally, I would think that that would work alright for a five hour trip, though I can't be positive if that would be the best or most effective method....its just what I would do based on my own knowledge.

Also, just a side note....if thats a common Pleco you have, you are aware they get pretty large, make a huge mess, and don't really eat algae yes? Even youngsters aren't recommended to keep for very long in small aquariums...
He's an Albino Bristle nose ;) They're supposed to stay on the small size, from what I've read of them, and thanks for the advice! So far that seems my best bet. We might pick up one of those styrofom coolers to help keep their water warmer, I do not know yet.

Pleco does make a huge mess though; loots of poopsies. Gonna be getting a new filter for the tank! >w< gravel

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Bristlenoses do stay rather small. I think the max they will get is 4-5 inches. I have 2 clown plecos and they are even smaller - about 3 inches as sdults but man do they POOP

When I transposted betta from Alaska to New York - I put them in either their cup or a coffee cups I got from a gas station and taped them inside a cooler. I added amquel plus (similar to prime) and Krodon fish protector. I did have a gallon of water premixed in case of emergency WC's but it froze solid (i moved in wintertime). Bring a syringe or something so you can spot clean up poop if they arent going into a new tank right away. Apple snails breathe air, I do beleive so if thats the snail, it should be OK with the betta. Not sure about other species though.

also don't feed them for a day or so before you go. no food = less pooping.
Not sure what to say about the pleco but people ship them in bags so...?? I now there is some special type of breather bag you can get for shipping but they are $$$

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
A Styrofoam cooler would work well in place of a box too, though I'd still say go for the towels...they're a lot less messy then shavings or hay xD

Ah, a BN! Good good, much less of an issue....I'm used to encountering the usual person who, you know, picks up the tiny Common Pleco baby, which can get like...12+ inches, for their little 5-10 gallon. xP I wish they would stop selling them so young and so small.
BNs, thankfully, do stay smaller then a common, they get about 4-5", though generally long-term its not recommended to keep them in anything smaller then a 20. Hes alright for now as hes so small, but he won't stay that way for long...just something to keep in mind...might be a good excuse to upgrade. ;)

Edit: I'd suggest transporting the Betta completely separately in a cup or similar container rather then she shallow tank so it doesn't knock around too much and possibly tare his fins....might not be a good idea to put the snail in with him, that could get messy quickly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Styrofoam cooler would work well in place of a box too, though I'd still say go for the towels...they're a lot less messy then shavings or hay xD

Ah, a BN! Good good, much less of an issue....I'm used to encountering the usual person who, you know, picks up the tiny Common Pleco baby, which can get like...12+ inches, for their little 5-10 gallon. xP I wish they would stop selling them so young and so small.
BNs, thankfully, do stay smaller then a common, they get about 4-5", though generally long-term its not recommended to keep them in anything smaller then a 20. Hes alright for now as hes so small, but he won't stay that way for long...just something to keep in mind...might be a good excuse to upgrade. ;)

Edit: I'd suggest transporting the Betta completely separately in a cup or similar container rather then she shallow tank so it doesn't knock around too much and possibly tare his fins....might not be a good idea to put the snail in with him, that could get messy quickly.
Hehehe... oh, goodness, I'm getting sucked into this fish world! Good thing aquariums are something we accumulate at my house - we sold off about ten or eleven or so of them at a garage sale two years ago, including a really, REALLY big one, like four feet long, little over a foot wide and about a foot and a half tall. Not sure the gallon number on it, but we had two of them we picked up for a dollar each at a school's garage sale! My leopard gecko Bingo is happily pampered in one ;D Hamster has what I think is a twenty gallon. Shark's got his ten xD

I'm going to put him in his cup, I think that's the best way for shark to get transported right now. I'll put the snail and Pleco in the three gal partially full, sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks so much for your guys' help! :'D I feel a lot better with a semblance of a plan. And I'm not feeling too bad about them having to get new water and crashing the cycling time, since I haven't gotten the tank to that point yet anyhow @[email protected]' I need a better filter. *Facedesk* I was thinking of getting an aquaclear 20 gallon one; I've heard you can adjust and turn down the flow on it, so the current wouldn't bother Shark.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Haha! It sucks you in pretty quick doesn't it? xD I started out with an old 46 bow dad gave me after one of our moves....soon I was cleaning out the two old Hermit Crap 10 and 20 long tanks, next thing I knew I was buying another 10 for my birthday, then a 5.5, then the 2 gallons.....xD
Geez, I wish my family hoarded aquariums like that though! I'd probably have them all set up at this point...but still! xDD We still have the 46, I'm working on getting them to let me set it up again, though the 20 long now belongs to my own Leopard Gecko. xD Geez, if I could only give her a four foot though....the one you have a bet is a 75!

I've never used aquaclear myself, but I've heard some good things about them! You could also baffle it if its still too strong after adjusting it by rubber-banding a little filter sponge over the outflow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha! It sucks you in pretty quick doesn't it? xD I started out with an old 46 bow dad gave me after one of our moves....soon I was cleaning out the two old Hermit Crap 10 and 20 long tanks, next thing I knew I was buying another 10 for my birthday, then a 5.5, then the 2 gallons.....xD
Geez, I wish my family hoarded aquariums like that though! I'd probably have them all set up at this point...but still! xDD We still have the 46, I'm working on getting them to let me set it up again, though the 20 long now belongs to my own Leopard Gecko. xD Geez, if I could only give her a four foot though....the one you have a bet is a 75!

I've never used aquaclear myself, but I've heard some good things about them! You could also baffle it if its still too strong after adjusting it by rubber-banding a little filter sponge over the outflow.
I wouldn't have to worry about the rubber band being in the water? That's good info to have ;D

We had so many aquariums because for many years, my brother and I were keeping hamsters - and aquariums are the best cages we ever had for them :| Critter trails are baloney. The hamsters escaped them right and left!! So we just went to oldschool xD I have the last hamster, Mouse, and he will be my last for a while ;w; He's got a swollen toe though ;~; waiting for it to heal up, keeping a close watch on it.

What's your leopard gecko's name? :'D I've had Bingo for about four summers XD Three school years~ I've known her for about six, though - she used to be my Middle School's school pet. When the school closed (;_; sad story.) we took her in, much to my thrill. At first Mama was reluctant, but now Bingo's grown on her xD She's a cute little gecko, and she looooves her rocks .w. She uses her crystals as pillows over by her heat rock XD I call it her Dragon Lair, hehe~

I'd love to put some pretty crystals and things in Shark's tank >u<

Oh, but with the aquaclear filter, I heard it wasn't good with sand? I was thinking of getting sand substrate. I don't like the gravel, both for cleaning purposes and looks. Someone recommended a substrate that was inbetween sand and gravel, black in color?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put my bettas in the cupholders. That is the safest place, it is dark, and stays warm, and doesn't fall over. I have no clue how to transport the others. I also use the petsmart/lfs cups that they came in. This year, I am transporting 4 girls, so I am going to use a cup holder from a fast food joint.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I wouldn't think the rubber would do much harm, no, I've seen people use it before...it wouldn't really be submersed anyway I wouldn't think. xD But personally what I use actually are those plain brown non-metal hair ties you can get just about anywhere. I've been using those for years, and they have rubber in them. The only thing is you have to go in and replace them every once in a while as they'll stretch out and come loose, but other then that they work fantastic.

Ah Hamsters xD I had dwarf hamsters when I was about twelve....ended up getting a male and female and then BAM, 26 hamsters in the house all of a sudden! Fun times...the mother was a little bratty though, as were most of her babies, but the father was very sweet. His name was Calvin, he'd lick my fingers if I woke him up and quite enjoyed sitting with me. xD Poor thing was deaf though.

Her name is Phoenix. xD This Halloween I'll have had her for about three years, I picked her up as a five month old at the local privately owned pet store I worked at at the time in Washington state. She actually moved cross-country with me about two years ago, traveled in her 10 gallon all tucked into the foot of my bunk. Six days in a rickety, falling apart rental camper, ugh xP
Oddly enough, my mom who dislikes basically anything that isn't a small dog with a short tail, found the Leos to be pretty neat looking. I've yet to convince her to let me have another, but shes cool with Phoenix.
Phoenix herself though....well she has this look on her face that just makes it look like she thinks shes better then you. xD Shes a very independent little thing, she likes to do what she wants, and though shes not particularly overly friendly shes not aggressive or anything, I can handle her all I want though she has moods where shes not always happy about it. xD Gets quite upset and refuses to eat however when I'm not there, I've been told.

What kind of crystals are they? So long as they're inert, I don't see why you should have any problems putting them in the tank. I've used all kinds of rocks that I've just found outside and cleaned off really well scrubbing them with hot water.

Hmm....can't say I've ever heard anything specific about the Aquaclear and sand substrate, but I would think that just like any other HOB so long as the intake isn't too close to the substrate and you don't, you know, kick up a WHOLE bunch of sand while doing your water changes you shouldn't have much of a problem.
I started disliking gravel a little while back as well....I just got really annoyed with cleaning it and got tired of the over-all look too. What I did was switch all my tanks over to the Petco brand 'sand, which is basically just very very fine gravel. But, what I like about it is that it behaves like sand....everything sits on the top, gives that general sand appearance....but as fine gravel, its heavier isn't as much of a pain to clean initially, and doesn't get kicked up or disturbed as easily during water changes. I have it in all my tanks currently, I'm quite fond of the stuff. xD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't think the rubber would do much harm, no, I've seen people use it before...it wouldn't really be submersed anyway I wouldn't think. xD But personally what I use actually are those plain brown non-metal hair ties you can get just about anywhere. I've been using those for years, and they have rubber in them. The only thing is you have to go in and replace them every once in a while as they'll stretch out and come loose, but other then that they work fantastic.

Ah Hamsters xD I had dwarf hamsters when I was about twelve....ended up getting a male and female and then BAM, 26 hamsters in the house all of a sudden! Fun times...the mother was a little bratty though, as were most of her babies, but the father was very sweet. His name was Calvin, he'd lick my fingers if I woke him up and quite enjoyed sitting with me. xD Poor thing was deaf though.

Her name is Phoenix. xD This Halloween I'll have had her for about three years, I picked her up as a five month old at the local privately owned pet store I worked at at the time in Washington state. She actually moved cross-country with me about two years ago, traveled in her 10 gallon all tucked into the foot of my bunk. Six days in a rickety, falling apart rental camper, ugh xP
Oddly enough, my mom who dislikes basically anything that isn't a small dog with a short tail, found the Leos to be pretty neat looking. I've yet to convince her to let me have another, but shes cool with Phoenix.
Phoenix herself though....well she has this look on her face that just makes it look like she thinks shes better then you. xD Shes a very independent little thing, she likes to do what she wants, and though shes not particularly overly friendly shes not aggressive or anything, I can handle her all I want though she has moods where shes not always happy about it. xD Gets quite upset and refuses to eat however when I'm not there, I've been told.

What kind of crystals are they? So long as they're inert, I don't see why you should have any problems putting them in the tank. I've used all kinds of rocks that I've just found outside and cleaned off really well scrubbing them with hot water.

Hmm....can't say I've ever heard anything specific about the Aquaclear and sand substrate, but I would think that just like any other HOB so long as the intake isn't too close to the substrate and you don't, you know, kick up a WHOLE bunch of sand while doing your water changes you shouldn't have much of a problem.
I started disliking gravel a little while back as well....I just got really annoyed with cleaning it and got tired of the over-all look too. What I did was switch all my tanks over to the Petco brand 'sand, which is basically just very very fine gravel. But, what I like about it is that it behaves like sand....everything sits on the top, gives that general sand appearance....but as fine gravel, its heavier isn't as much of a pain to clean initially, and doesn't get kicked up or disturbed as easily during water changes. I have it in all my tanks currently, I'm quite fond of the stuff. xD
Oooh, what breed of dwarf hamsters? We've kept several kinds; Chinese Dwarf, Robrovski(Which I always pronounce wrong), Fancy Russain, aaandddd I think that's it for the dwarfs, and then we kept several Syrian hamsters. I could name most all of them ;u;

that's quite a trip for her to have taken, wow! Her age doesn't surprise me - dwarfs tend to live longer than the larger hamsters, though Mouse is I think about three years old, now OwO One of my friends had a Syrian that lived to be about five or six, I think, or maybe even older, which is insane for a Syrian hamster. Average lifespan for them is two years. And I cherish every minute of it >u<

I've been making toilet paper toys for Mouse to chew up, with treats and food stuffed inside. Especially since he can't have his wheel right now, I've forsaked the food dish and scattered his food everywhere so he has to forage for it, which he seems to almost like better. Something to keep his mind and body working and busy ;D

What do you mean by 'inert' crystals? The one's bingo has are quarts, amethyst, garnets, and lots of little polished stones of all sorts of colors and types. There's a lot of agates in her cage, as well as petrified wood, a HUGE fossil of a shell that reminds me of a ramshorm, but I forgot the name of the species it's a fossil of, a large slice of petrified wood, and lots of other rocks and things XD She's a pampered gecko, and she happily enjoys my rock collection~ >u<

I will look into that, thank-you! :'3 the substrate, I mean. I've been told you need to stir the sand up a little bit every once in a while to get rid of any air pockets and whatnot, but that's not going to be a problem.

My leo Bingo - oh, what a sweety ;w; She's just chilled out with me while I've cleaned my room, or sit and curl up or crawl around and explore when I'm with a friend who likes lizards XD She'll even ask to come out of the cage sometimes - it's not often, but she'll come over and paw at the glass like; "LEMME OUTTA DIS HERE GLASS BOOOOX! MAMAAAAA!" And take her out I do xD

As for feeding - we honestly just dump a number of crickets into her cage, and she's good for about two - three weeks, and often times we'll give her waxworms as a treat (which she LOVES.) She hunts on her own - it's good exercise for her, and gosh, is she a pretty gecko ;w; We had to take her into the vet a while back, which was a very stressful and scary ordeal (She had a bump on the side of her head and it wasn't going away, and we didn't know what it was. Thank goodness it was over my spring break, so I could be there for the ordeal ;~; Turned out to be just a puss-filled bump, the vet thinks she could have hurt herself on something in the cage, and the bump was like a bruise as a result of it.) . It felt really, really good when the vet said she was a very, very healthy looking leopard gecko ;u; Next cage redecoration, she's gonna get more climbing areas - I've noticed she keeps trying to climb these wide-leafed fake plants XD So since she's interested in climbing, I'll try to come up with something for her >u<

As tripped out as Bingo's cage is - eventually I'd love to have Shark's up-to-par with hers. Mouse's cage is the only one that's really, really simple. I'd love to do more for him, and I wanna get all sorts of toys and chewy things for him to occupy his time with. I once saw this REALLY cool hamster cage someone had built out of an IKEA shelf thingy - it was so, so cool, I wish I could give him something like that.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2009/12/expedit-hamster-home.html

there was another one like this I saw that had more chambers for the hamster to go in - lemme see if I can find it.

http://randomoverload.net/not-a-kludge-ikea-hamster-habitat here it is!!

Wouldn't that be kick-butt to have for a hammie? ;-; Mouse would LOVE that - all that space to run around in and explore, and all these different areas to go into!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I want to say they were Chinese Dwarfs, at least the mother, Chinchi, was....can't say for sure exactly what breed Calvin was, but he was an adorable calico coloring. xD This was all over ten years ago though, all of them and their babies have long since passed I'm sure....and mom has been very adamantly against hamsters since. ;P They were fun little pets though. xD

By Inert I just mean that they're rocks that don't contain heavy metals that will leech into your water or aren't carbonate rocks(Limestone, sandstone, and such)that will raise your PH.
So long as there is nothing on or in them that could leech out(like some kind of special varnish or something that could break down in the water), then any of those crystals and gems you mentioned I would think should be alright, but I'd be careful about shells as they can raise your PH. You can specifically google what you have that you would like to put in there if you'd like, just to make sure.

Haha! Phoenix used to ask to come out in her 10 gallon....but in her 20 shes cool chilling in there for, like, ever xD She loves her home, thats for sure...trys to jump back into it during cleaning day. xP
Eh, the crickets made such a mess that I stopped dumping them in and I instead feed them to her with a pair of tongs. She got a little lazy about hunting them and I got lazy about cleaning up after them. xD She had a dish though that I'd put mealworms and waxworms in for her, but I just hand feed her those now since she doesn't eat when I'm gone anyway. And hand feeding is fun. xD
Oh geez, how scary! I'm so glad Phoenix has been incredibly healthy so far! D: I'd probably have a heart attack if she had a lump like that!
Phoenix used to do quite a big of climbing, now she just seems to like to crawl INTO things....like her fake plant...and peek out like a grumpy dragon. xD Its quite cute.

Oh my goodness o: That shelving....I don't even have hamsters and I want it!!! xD It looks so cool! Maybe I could set it up for Hermit crabs...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I want to say they were Chinese Dwarfs, at least the mother, Chinchi, was....can't say for sure exactly what breed Calvin was, but he was an adorable calico coloring. xD This was all over ten years ago though, all of them and their babies have long since passed I'm sure....and mom has been very adamantly against hamsters since. ;P They were fun little pets though. xD

By Inert I just mean that they're rocks that don't contain heavy metals that will leech into your water or aren't carbonate rocks(Limestone, sandstone, and such)that will raise your PH.
So long as there is nothing on or in them that could leech out(like some kind of special varnish or something that could break down in the water), then any of those crystals and gems you mentioned I would think should be alright, but I'd be careful about shells as they can raise your PH. You can specifically google what you have that you would like to put in there if you'd like, just to make sure.

Haha! Phoenix used to ask to come out in her 10 gallon....but in her 20 shes cool chilling in there for, like, ever xD She loves her home, thats for sure...trys to jump back into it during cleaning day. xP
Eh, the crickets made such a mess that I stopped dumping them in and I instead feed them to her with a pair of tongs. She got a little lazy about hunting them and I got lazy about cleaning up after them. xD She had a dish though that I'd put mealworms and waxworms in for her, but I just hand feed her those now since she doesn't eat when I'm gone anyway. And hand feeding is fun. xD
Oh geez, how scary! I'm so glad Phoenix has been incredibly healthy so far! D: I'd probably have a heart attack if she had a lump like that!
Phoenix used to do quite a big of climbing, now she just seems to like to crawl INTO things....like her fake plant...and peek out like a grumpy dragon. xD Its quite cute.

Oh my goodness o: That shelving....I don't even have hamsters and I want it!!! xD It looks so cool! Maybe I could set it up for Hermit crabs...
That would make a cool hermit crab cage, indeed, with some modifications to cater to their needs xD

Really? Your crickets made a mess? How so? The only mess I ever get is the occasional drowned one (D':) and there's this little plastic dog-bowl from a Barbie kit I had when I was little, and I fill it up with cricket food and sometimes it gets spilt, though that's usually Bingo's fault there, hehe xD

Bingo never liked mealworms - she won't eat them, though she goes nuts over the wax worms! Also, FYI: never, EVER feed your leo those scary things called... what are they, super worms? They look like giant meal worms. They'll eat through the gecko ;_;'' they are scary. They chew through the plastic containers the petstores keep them in. They're scary, to me ._. I don't even want to think of people who have fed those to their lizards that can't have them, without knowing so... ;_; meep.

Bingo loves to curl up on her heat rock and gemstones XD She looks like a little sleeping dragon, minus the wings >u< she is so cute!

What kind of things does your betta do? Shark rushes over to the glass if he sees anyone stop by his cage, and he'll wriggle around and get all excited sometimes. When he sees me shake a food container, he wriggles A LOT - especially if it's one he really likes. I think he's starting to know which food is in which container XD

Edit:
I didn't know that shells could raise the PH 0_0 There's only one in the tank, but it's a rather large one; one of those clam shells, I believe? That's where I found Cargo laying his eggs.

Betta's like a low PH, right? Also, have you heard about putting the Indian Almond leaves or (I believe Oak) leaves in the water? That's something I'm thinking of trying, though I'm not sure if Pleco or Cargo would like it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It really would. D: Ahh, I miss my Hermies sometimes....thats what I was really into before fish. They were such interesting little pets. <3

Oh goodness, mine pooped EVERYWHERE. I'd find more cricket poop then Gecko poop! I don't know if Phoenix just didn't snap them up quick enough(there were often one or two that would hang in there quite a while) or what but geez mine were messy.
xD Phoenix isn't too picky, thankfully. She seems to like Crickets, Mealies, and Wax worms all just fine. I wish I could get phoenix worms for her. D: I can only find places that sell them and bulk though, I don't really need like...five hundred worms for my one little Leo. xD;

Oooooooh, don't worry, I am all too aware of those darn Superworms. xP I used to work in a pet store, back in the fish section, and part of our job back there was to fetch feeders(worms, crickets, mice, rats, all of that)because they were kept in a room behind the desk there. The superworms got out ALL the time, I had to tape up many a hole that they chewed in their cups.
From my understanding, you have to cut off their heads before feeding; at least thats what we were told to tell people who were interested in them. I stay clear of them because I'm not the most keen on holding down a superworm and chopping off its head. xP

Oh goodness, my little finned boys do all sorts of things. xD They all of course do the 'feed me' dance when they know its around meal time....some of them even get so enthusiastic with it they don't even see their pellets when I first drop them in! I have one boy thats partially blind however, so he can't see the food container and get excited about it....but I tap on his tank when I drop food in, so he knows when its coming. xD Hes not the best aim when it comes to snapping up the pellets, but he tries! He eventually gets them when they sink though.
I think one of my most amusing fish though was this DT boy called The Doctor(now passed, sadly), HUGE almost rose-tail like finnage, he would swim at the most hilarious angles, even upsidedown! It wasn't like he was struggling or anything, he would just turn that way while he was swimming. He had no problem righting himself, so I never really worried too much. He was quite a character though.

Some shells can raise the PH from what I heard, I know crushed coral and shells are what a lot of people use in African Cichlid tanks for that very reason, though. However, I would think a few small shells like you would find in craft stores shouldn't be like that....of course you want to clean them very well, possibly boil them, and you can always check by dropping a bit of vinegar on them; if they fizz, they'll leech calcium and could affect your PH(this is also a good rock-testing method).

Our bettas, the Betta Splendens you commonly find sold in the pet stores that most people keep, have been selectively bred in captivity for so long that they're quite a hardy and adaptable species...they can adapt to just about any PH, the key is just to make sure it remains stable.
IALs, Oak leaves, or drift wood release tannins, which will give your water a tea-like color(some thinks it looks unattractive, though personally I don't mind the look) and can naturally lower your PH a little(which is alright...you just don't want to use products like PH down or something to mess with your PH) if your water isn't already pretty hard. Tannins from IAL and Oak Leaves can be great though, some say they really have a calming effect on fish and can promote healing and have some anti-parasitic/anti-bacterial properties from what I understand.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It really would. D: Ahh, I miss my Hermies sometimes....thats what I was really into before fish. They were such interesting little pets. <3

Oh goodness, mine pooped EVERYWHERE. I'd find more cricket poop then Gecko poop! I don't know if Phoenix just didn't snap them up quick enough(there were often one or two that would hang in there quite a while) or what but geez mine were messy.
xD Phoenix isn't too picky, thankfully. She seems to like Crickets, Mealies, and Wax worms all just fine. I wish I could get phoenix worms for her. D: I can only find places that sell them and bulk though, I don't really need like...five hundred worms for my one little Leo. xD;

Oooooooh, don't worry, I am all too aware of those darn Superworms. xP I used to work in a pet store, back in the fish section, and part of our job back there was to fetch feeders(worms, crickets, mice, rats, all of that)because they were kept in a room behind the desk there. The superworms got out ALL the time, I had to tape up many a hole that they chewed in their cups.
From my understanding, you have to cut off their heads before feeding; at least thats what we were told to tell people who were interested in them. I stay clear of them because I'm not the most keen on holding down a superworm and chopping off its head. xP

Oh goodness, my little finned boys do all sorts of things. xD They all of course do the 'feed me' dance when they know its around meal time....some of them even get so enthusiastic with it they don't even see their pellets when I first drop them in! I have one boy thats partially blind however, so he can't see the food container and get excited about it....but I tap on his tank when I drop food in, so he knows when its coming. xD Hes not the best aim when it comes to snapping up the pellets, but he tries! He eventually gets them when they sink though.
I think one of my most amusing fish though was this DT boy called The Doctor(now passed, sadly), HUGE almost rose-tail like finnage, he would swim at the most hilarious angles, even upsidedown! It wasn't like he was struggling or anything, he would just turn that way while he was swimming. He had no problem righting himself, so I never really worried too much. He was quite a character though.

Some shells can raise the PH from what I heard, I know crushed coral and shells are what a lot of people use in African Cichlid tanks for that very reason, though. However, I would think a few small shells like you would find in craft stores shouldn't be like that....of course you want to clean them very well, possibly boil them, and you can always check by dropping a bit of vinegar on them; if they fizz, they'll leech calcium and could affect your PH(this is also a good rock-testing method).

Our bettas, the Betta Splendens you commonly find sold in the pet stores that most people keep, have been selectively bred in captivity for so long that they're quite a hardy and adaptable species...they can adapt to just about any PH, the key is just to make sure it remains stable.
IALs, Oak leaves, or drift wood release tannins, which will give your water a tea-like color(some thinks it looks unattractive, though personally I don't mind the look) and can naturally lower your PH a little(which is alright...you just don't want to use products like PH down or something to mess with your PH) if your water isn't already pretty hard. Tannins from IAL and Oak Leaves can be great though, some say they really have a calming effect on fish and can promote healing and have some anti-parasitic/anti-bacterial properties from what I understand.

I'm thinking it'd be a good thing for Shark once we move back home, and then to the dorm - he hates his cup, it's stressful enough doing water changes D': I take my fish and snail out of the tank to do them, partially because I'm afraid I might accidentally suck one up the siphon hose (o_o oh goodness I don't even want to think about that!), and also because the water I add is cold, and then I add hot water to bring it up to temp faster so the boys can get out of their cups sooner. Shark, ironically, swims right into his cup XD

Superworms o_o they're... just... scary. Eep. They aren't a natural species, are they? I got the impression they were genetically modified or bred larger or something.

Pheonix worms? I have never heard of those! *googles* Not sure if the images I'm seeing are them, but... they... look like wax worms XD Are they? What are they? I've never heard of them before.

We get our wax worms for Bingo from a bait shop ;D You can get one of those little tiny cases, then, like 25 or 50 of them or something. and the baitshop guys we have are really nice XD One of them, when all the ones in the little fridge were not-so-great looking, he hand-picked out a bunch of nice, juicy, fat ones for her! It was great, and Bingo LOVED them XD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts