Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i found my betta Cupcake trapped between some marbles at the bottom of his mason jar. I removed the marble and he didn't move. I have no idea how long he was trapped and was afraid he would die.

I manually brought him up for air twice. For the first hours he barely moved and hung out at the bottom.

It has been 8 hours now and he seems pretty perky and normal....

how long can they survive without coming up for air ? I was going to change his water today, but thought it may be better to wait and not add any stress.

do you think he is okay?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a similar run in with marbles when I was fairly new to fish keeping. I'm sorry this happened to your little guy! If he seems pretty normal then He should be alright. :) I'm not sure how long betta's can stay underwater before surfacing, perhaps someone else has the answer to that one! I just wanted to relay a few things you do to make your betta fish happier...:) Improve his quality of life. I'm assuming wherever you got your betta from told you it was okay to keep your betta in a small bowl/mason jar. But in fact this is very far from the truth. To thrive and be fully happy, bettas need at least 2.5 gallons. And your Local pet store probably didn't tell you betta fish need heaters...well in fact they very much do! So, if you really care about and love your little guy you'll want to upgrade is tank, and get him a heater to keep his tank anywhere from 78-82 degrees. Ultimatly your betta will be WAY happier. Hope this information helped you out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like a half gallon jar, still rather small. Not sure how a temperature gauge will keep him warm, tell you when the water is too cold, yes, but not keep him warm. Room temp is still chilly for a betta, water temp runs about 5 degrees colder than air, so you would need to be keeping your room really warm. He looks like a nice fish, so congratulations.

·
Registered
Finley: Elephant ear HMPK, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: Horse
2,682 Posts
+1 Aennedry. You should upgrade to a tank for the wellbeing of the fish c:. Like maybe a nice 2.5-5 gallon with a heater and a couple of silk plants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I failed to mention, I have a heat lamp that keeps the water temp from 76-80 degrees. I have 3 bettas, counting the itty bitty baby.

Thanks everyone for the info.:):-D

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
I'm glad he survived. Some bettas like to push themselves down into rocks and sometimes get stuck. I had one that liked to wedge himself under rocks upside down. The first time I saw that I thought he was dead, the little stinker! Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts