Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a travel tank that I could keep my betta in for a week or two at a time. I currently use a large plastic tupperware for Oscar and another for his plants, and transport the tank empty on the seat since glass. I would like to find a smaller tank that I could use to avoid needing to take the big tank and constantly be replanting the plants. The tupperware is pretty boring and he's a pretty smart and active little dude, so I want to do this without it being at the expense of his quality of life for these travel/vacation weeks. Obviously it would have to be smaller and not include any gravel/loose decor so that it doesn't hurt him in the car. Maybe something with a built-in central decoration/cave so that he has somewhere to hide and explore.

I am hoping that I can get something with a non-intrusive built in filter and heater just for sake of simplicity packing on my end, but something with a space for external is ok since it wouldn't be filtering/heating while driving, just when we get to our destination. This would be housing him typically for about a week, but sometimes two or three weeks if possible. Anything approaching a month would warrant me bringing his normal tank and plants anyways. The car rides are anywhere between 4-11 hours, and I typically put him in the tupperware the night before travel. We have transported 5 bettas in this container for almost 3 years without any trouble, it just isn't an enjoyable environment for Oscar and I wouldn't want to keep him in it for a week or two.

Oscar's normal setup:
Aqueon 6 gallon glass cube
Filtered with a Forza 5-15 variable flow
Heated to 77F
Amazon Swords and Java Ferns
LED Plant light on a timer

What (I think) I am looking for:
-Something 2 gallons or less so that I can carry it safely and easily pack
-Plexiglass/acryllic/etc. in one piece (no seams or glass/brittle material prone to cracking if the tank isn't completely level in the car)
-Built-in filter with flow level that isn't too strong for bettas or room to put one in (not while in car so it wont move)
-Built-in heater or room to put one in (not while in car so it wont move)
-Something that has a built-in decoration/cave that is NOT removable (so that it doesnt shift and hurt Oscar in the car) is optional but would be nice
-A small feeding hole in the cover that would block large water splashes outside the tank but allow airflow would be nice, as I currently have to crack the tupperware lid every few hours to make sure he gets good air exchange

Some Ideas to Start With

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oscar needs to be kept in a stable, cycled aquarium. Just leave him at home. He will be fine for a week or so without food, and if you're leaving for 2 or 3 weeks find somebody you can trust to feed him a couple of times.

Trying to keep him alive while travelling will tax both of you, and you're likely to loose him. <<snip>>.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oscar needs to be kept in a stable, cycled aquarium. Just leave him at home. He will be fine for a week or so without food, and if you're leaving for 2 or 3 weeks find somebody you can trust to feed him a couple of times.

Trying to keep him alive while travelling will tax both of you, and you're likely to loose him. If you need a travelling pet get a dog.
When I can leave him at home I do. I am trying to find a more suitable travel setup that will make the unavoidable trips more bearable for him when leaving him is not an option and I don't have anyone who can feed him. The goal here is to maintain a more stable environment when his main tank cannot provide that. I would also like to have a backup tank on hand should something happen to mine to avoid the discomfort of him staying in tupperware for extended periods while I cycle a new tank. I already have a dog, who in fact gets more anxious in the car than most of my bettas have.

·
Registered
Fishy friends: Chopin, Liszt, Diego, Haku, and Shinah
34 Posts
I've used the Minibow 2.5 gal as a permanent betta tank and I liked it, although I did end up upgrading to a 5 gallon in the long run. Ages ago in college I also kept a minibow with guppies in my dorm room, so I know it's pretty transportable. The tank is one piece of solid acrylic, with a removable plastic base and lid. It comes with a carbon filter, but you can take that out and replace it with a big chunk of sponge if you want. Just a heads up, smaller tanks take more cleaning. Although I could stretch it to a once-a-week water change in that 2.5 minibow, my betta fish were happier when I did a 50% water change+gravel vaccuum twice a week.

For the car ride itself though I think that tupperware or another small, closed container for your betta would be the safest thing. He won't get bored with an empty container for just a day :)

For moving the tank itself during the ride, I'd drain out at least 75% of the water or more, but keep enough water for the gravel to stay underwater so that the filtering bacteria living in the gravel stay alive. Plop the filter cartridge/sponge in the water, making sure it's covered too so it is always wet and keeping the bacteria safe (or put it in a watertight ziploc bag full of tank water). Just take out the decorations/hides/fake plants and store them in a ziploc bag or something while you travel. There's no real point to trying to permanently fix them to the tank itself. You'll lose some of the good bacteria that's growing on them when you travel, but it's not a big deal because most of the important filtering bacteria will be in the gravel and filter cartridge/sponge.

If you want to keep your little tank up and running during the rest of the year, you can do that too! After upgrading one of her bettas, my mom kept her old small tank going as a plant tank :)

·
Registered
Fishy friends: Chopin, Liszt, Diego, Haku, and Shinah
34 Posts
Oh haha I forgot the most important part! What I wrote earlier is how you move an established small tank so that you don't lose your cycle :) But if you're starting fresh with a tank (like if you're setting it up for the first time on vacation) you'll want some good bateria to get the process going. From your fish's current tank at home, take some filter media (sponge, cartridge, etc.) and a few scoops of gravel and put them in a watertight ziploc bag filled with tank water. Once you set up your new tank, add in the old gravel and filter media to the water. This transfers your filtering bacteria and starts cycling the new tank so it's safe for your fish :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts