Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Christmas break I am going and staying in a house for 3 weeks that is about 2 1/2 hours from where I am now. What do I do with my betta? I know he can't survive by himself for that long, but how do I get him to where I'm going without really stressing him out? I have his container I bought him in, but what do I do?

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. You could get someone you trust to take care of him while you are away or you could take him with you. If you get someone to take care of him while you are away you could either take him, tank and all to their house or they can come to your house . If you live in a dorm this may not be possible. If you have someone to take care of him they wouldn't even need to feed him every day. I was gone for 10 days once and mine were fed 3 times during that time and they were fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! What if I need to take him with me? How do I minimize his stress? Should I cover the container with paper or something so he can't see everything going on around him? How do I keep the water temp the same?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you want to take him with you, it's not too bad. I used a one gallon tank and had it bare with only half water in it. Put him in the floor board where it's nice and dark. All you need is someone to watch the tank so it's upright. I took all his decorations with me and put them back in after the road trip was over. I've done this a few times. Never had any problems. The darkness kept them very calm.

59 Posts
i live in a dorm and i had the same problem but if you get time release feeding tsblets that wors but ususally onl for a week. i travel with mine too and all you do is scoop him up and then in hs cup put him in the cupholder and pray for a smooth ride. thats wat i do on homeleaves. and my betta is just fine:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you allowed to have a fish in your dorms? Or does he just kind of go unnoticed? I want to bring mine to college but I don't know if they are allowed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Survivor2013 is your tank a round bowl or more rectangular shaped? Does it have a lid on the top? Does you fish slosh around if it is bumpy?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you decide to bring him home, I highly recommend putting his container into an insulated lunch box for the trip. The temperature will stay more stable, it will be dark, noises will be muffled, and the sides will be padded in case he gets bumped. If you have a jar that fully closes (I use old peanut butter jars) that will be better than the cup he came in since the lid might leak, and two hours isn't anywhere near enough time for him to suffocate especially if you crack the lid every now and again.

I bring my fish home from my dorm during Winter & Summer breaks, four hours each way and none of them ever died during the trip. A lot of the time dorms will unplug every electronic, so unless you know that's not going to happen I wouldn't risk it (Your RA should know if they're anything like my school's).

Are you allowed to have a fish in your dorms? Or does he just kind of go unnoticed? I want to bring mine to college but I don't know if they are allowed.
What college do you/are planning on going to? A lot of times the school's website will have a list of items allowed in the dorms, including whether aquariums are allowed. My school allows a single 10g per room, but other unis have different restrictions

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mines got a nice flat diamond shape. I've never had an issue with sloshing or tipping but I always make sure someone's there with an eye. It has a top. I believe petsmart sells it for 15 dollars.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
Another thing you can do is put him in a shipping bag as if you were shipping him somewhere. Put it in a box or cooler with a heat pack and put newspapers in there to keep the bag from shifting around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts