Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to me leaving for college in a few months and I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to transport my animals there. Below is a list of what I have.

Live organisms:
4 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Betta Fish
1 Nerite snail
8 aquatic plants (including 1 marimo moss ball)

Containers:
1 cycled 10 gallon tank (main tank)
1 uncycled 2.5 tank (froglet/ hospital/ QT tank)
1 .3 gallon "tad-pool" (Grow -A Frog's words, not mine)
1 1 gallon tank
2 bags
2 "betta cups"
In tank mesh breeder box (for 2.5 and 10 gallon only)

My question is, how do I travel with all of them safely? I'm only going 1-2 hours away, but I'm worried since the last time my family travelled with a betta fish, he died. I don't want that to happen to Rufio :sob: . I love him and everybody else in that tank and want to get them to college safely.

Most of the colleges on my list accept 10 gallon fish tanks unconditionally. If I choose the one that doesn't, I won't need this, but I want to be prepared, just in case. Also, I'm quitting work at a pet store soon because of college and I want to be able to get everything I may need before then (great discount.)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Preferably you'll want some more fish bags, you can buy them online or your store might give you two more? You'll want one for the Betta, one large one for all four frogs, one for the plants and the snail, just use a small bit of water for the snail and the plants will be fine in some air in the bag if it's just a few hours. If you get one of those cooler insulation container thingies they use for cookouts or keeping things cold, you can keep it hot inside the container and put all your fish/plants/frogs there for the ride.

And then since you want to keep your cycle going in the ten, you'll want to put your filter media in a bag full of water as well (doesn't work so nice with ziplocks, better to get fish bags) to keep the bacteria happy and wet. Then you can drain the tank and transport with the gravel still in it, just be careful is all and try to take out all the water.

·
Registered
216 Posts
OR, instead of bags, get those plastic ziplock containers. They make some pretty large ones, as well as a nice 2 cup circular one that I use with my betta when traveling. (I have to drive 2hrs as well). If you buy ice cream, the 1gal buckets could work for all the substrate and filter media in keeping it wet.

That's just a partial alternative to baggies. Plus, they stack. +1 to lil on her ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts