Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out the top fin caves and the zoo med floating log after reading the dangerous ornaments thread, don't really want to regret it months from now and it did seem to cloud my water despite heavy rinsing. I went to my LFS and bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood and the attendant said it was pretreated already and wouldn't affect Ph. Thoughts? Don't want to regret it later... I think I will soak it in some conditioned water for a couple of hours just to be sure...

The picture is from inside my car :lol: I'm still parked outside the LfS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I don't think treated driftwood should be too bad, its usually the "painted" stuff you need to worry about, what's the brand name?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's from Clifford w. Estes company. I'm pretty certain that it's natural driftwood that the company boils and "treats" before putting on the shelves so that it doesn't leak color. The attendant said I should just rinse it off and it's be fine but I'm thinking of soaking it in some conditioned water for a lil while

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm reading that the driftwood would still release tannins and lower Ph? I really hope not.. I just want my ph to be stable x_x my fish is already used to what it has... Blargh!!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Even if it does release some tannins, it most likely won't be enough to even budge your pH, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have three peices of driftwood in my 29 and it hasn't affected my pH at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh fantastic! Thank you! Do you think I should soak this piece in a bucket of conditioned water for an hour or so before putting it in tho?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yea, I'm assuming pretreating is just boiling it. It will probably leech a bit more slowly over time like all wood does but you won't notice any changes from it. It should be fine to just add it straight away after a rinse.

About pH changing, weekly water changes will also help keep it stable. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your PH will lower a little, it's not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure the pretreated means that it's been boiled for aquarium use. I boiled cypress wood I found for 3 hours, no tannins what so ever in my tank. Malaysian driftwood also sinks immediately, which is cool. Zo you have a nice piece of driftwood. You using any live plants with it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would if I knew where to start x_x another member recommended Java Fern to also help my tank cycle but I only have these 9 little dinky led lights that came with the hood, I don't know if that'd be enough? I noticed most people find a way to tie the plant onto the driftwood which would be lovely but I need to do more research. As you can see , I'm a worry-wort so I need to triple check before I do something to this tank ~_~

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As cute as I thought those top fin caves were ( and as much as he loved hiding in them), I'm so glad I saved my receipt and box for the floating log because I will be getting a refund. I like the natural look of the wood better and it's one less thing to be paranoid about. I'm going to keep looking for a more cave-like rock or wood ornament but this will do for now

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It depends on the size of the tank. If you put that in a 5 gallon tank than it will tint the water and lower the ph. If you put that piece in a 55 gallon than you dont have an issue. In my 29g i have this piece that takes up about half the tank. It would discolor the water and lower the ph,a lot. I just brought it to my lfs and they ran it in there system for a couple of weeks. Than i got it back boiled it a couple times and i dont have an issue anymore with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My tank is 10 gallons, it takes up less than 25% of space. My tap water could
Use a little reducing on the ph so I don't mind if it does, I just don't want constant fluctuation. And I do plan on adding 1 or 2 more pieces because my tank is pretty bare. I'm biding my time on finding the perfect plant pieces to go in

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! That is so cute! The only thug stopping me from jumping in the car to grab a coconut is that I don't have anything to cut the door out with x_x. I'll look into it some more but that is a perfect natural hides cave. Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tested my water after i put the driftwood in and the ammonia was 0. Just for kicks I tested it again tonight and the result was green x_x
I'm doing a water change now, I'm really glad I checked before bed or that would've meant 12 hours in ammonia water for the fish.
Any chance that the driftwood contributed? Or is the cycle just happening to begin now? Nitrites are still at zero.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.