Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My betta is in a 5.5 gallon with a filter and heater and 2 nerite snails. He has major? fin rot and I treated him a couple months ago with aquarium salt but to no avail. I decided to try again with a slightly higher dose of aquarium salt (2 teaspoons per gallon).

I decided to do it in my main tank as I just removed the last of the (rotting) live plants and it would be easier for me than to move him into a different container.

I was wondering if it would be safe for the nerite snails to stay in the tank as well? I know they breed in brackish water so I think it'd be alright but I want second opinions. I have a 2 gallon with an injured neon tetra in it (long story) that I could potentially place them in, but if I can keep them in the main tank during the treatment that would be easier. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,739 Posts
Nerites can survive a a little salt, but aquarium salt doesn't actually treat fin rot, it can sterilize open wounds (like if they're biting) but will put a strain on their kidneys if used for too long.

The best treatment for Fin Rot is pristine water and some stress coat. You could also try some Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos tea (pure rooibos). If you're sure it's fin rot and he's in danger, you can try to knock it out with meds, you could use Triple Sulfa, Kanaplex or Furan-2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nerites can survive a a little salt, but aquarium salt doesn't actually treat fin rot, it can sterilize open wounds (like if they're biting) but will put a strain on their kidneys if used for too long.

The best treatment for Fin Rot is pristine water and some stress coat. You could also try some Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos tea (pure rooibos). If you're sure it's fin rot and he's in danger, you can try to knock it out with meds, you could use Triple Sulfa, Kanaplex or Furan-2.
Ahhhh, alright, I read that aquarium salt did help a lot with fin rot so I just wanted to try. I'll use some stress coat instead then! Thank you!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The most important thing with Fin Rot is to do 100% daily water changes until it is gone (about a week).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts