Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I recently took in a rescue, and I am trying to do my best with him, he is a small blue VT with some moderate fin rot, so at the moment he is in a hospital tank, night #2 with 100% water changes;-)

Also I am using the AQ salt, and have not seen a difference in the fins, but I got him to eat a couple of pellets the Haikari Micro pellets, but he is resistant and will only do so with a lot of coaxing, and time:-(

I thought he was doing better, because I added a lil hidey cave for him, and some new gravel, I added the water conditioner, and the salt, changed the water, and he was ok, for a few mins. now he just mopes and sits for hours on top of the ball, (cave) ornament that I know he loves, but .. I thought he would have more energy.

I am wondering how to get him to eat a lil more, and to want to swim, I don't see signs of any sickness, but I really cannot tell, :roll: he just seems so out of it, like not wanting to do anything, so I am preparing Sammy's old tank a 3 gal to put him in, so I am wondering if that would help to get him more active, or continue with salt treatment for a few more days..uggh.. this is really hard taking care of a sick fishy:cry:
also I am going to upload a pic, as soon as I can!!

If someone would be able to guide me in the right direction on this..cuz I am new to taking care of sick fishy's
Thanks so much:-D

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Depending on the kind of conditions he was in before you rescued him, his recovery could be quick or a little slower. If he had a lot of ammonia and gunk in his cup, then he probably has some moderate ammonia poisoning and that will take him a bit to bounce back from. Also, bear in mind that there's a possibility he has an internal issue that we have no way of knowing about or verifying. All you can do is what you are doing: keep the water clean, keep him warm, and give him lots of love.

To encourage him to eat, you might consider soaking his pellets in garlic juice. You can mince a piece of garlic and mix it with a bit of tank water, then soak some pellets in that. Alternatively, you can use the juice from a jar of preminced garlic.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update with pic of Rescue fishy

Ok, this is a pic I just took, he was in a vase at a wedding..and how long he's been in there since..dunno, I heard the weddding was in April, so I got him 2-3 days ago, and I just am wondering how long to treat him, and if I should add some Stress coat maybe??

Attachments

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
From the picture, it looks like he may have velvet but that could also be a trick of the camera. Does he look that grainy in person?

Poor guy, I hate when people use live fish for wedding centerpieces.

Stress Coat is always beneficial. I would continue treating him for at least a week, then discontinue the salt but continue with Stress Coat. Mostly, warm and clean water are his best chances.

EDIT: The fin rot doesn't look quite as bad. It actually looks more like ammonia burned off most of his fins, not a bacterial rot. Stress Coat and AQ salt again will help.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow..You would not beleive look at him now.. after 3 days in treatment..and I thought he was not going to make it.. and a week later;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
What a beautiful boy! It's always such a rewarding experience to be able to watch a betta almost literally come back from the dead like that. Good on you for taking him in. <3

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you soo much..I didn't think I could do it, but if it wasn't for the forum, and the things I have learned here from all the experts..I would of never have known what to do, so Thank you!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts