Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my betta has been staying at the bottom of his tank a bit more than usual the past two weeks but was still eating fine and when he wasn't at the bottom of the tank, he is energetic as ever. His dorsal fin and tail also have become slightly lighter blue at the tops (his fins are a darker blue). However yesterday I noticed him trying to sit on a plant in his tank and I noticed he just starts to fall over as if his body can't balance. I did some research and it sounds like swim bladder disease. I have seen him pooping occasionally so I feel like he is not constipated, and I usually don't feed him on Sundays to help ensure this.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge filter with some airflow restricted
Does it have a heater? Yes, the heater can be set to a certain temp and keep the tank there
What temperature is your tank? ~80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No just sponge filter

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Betta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 6-8 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 20% every 5-7 days
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I use a water siphon to get poop, etc. out of the gravel
What additives do you use? I use Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
Unfortunately I don't have exact readings but I did get it checked by a LFS and they said everything is fine.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? ~2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Lighter coloring on tip of dorsal fin, top of tail.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lays on the bottom way more often, can't "sit up" straight, seems to be a bit less controlled when swimming.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes his appetite has not changed.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not really other than continuing water changes. I was planning on not feeding for 3-5 days in case he is constipated.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, I've never treated him for anything! Although he did start out in a .5 gallon tank for the first 3 months I had him.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I have owned him for about 1.5 years and he has never had any illnesses I've been aware of. Always has been a super active fish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today he is not doing much better, still mostly at the bottom. I feel like I could have been overfeeding him for a while but I don't want to wait too long if it's an infection. I have some maracyn 2, would that be worth using?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts