Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'll start by saying that I first noticed what looked like pinholes in Dr. Mabuse's lovely fins. I was taking a closer look, and noticed that they were raised and looked more like bubbles. They stuck around on his fins for a while, before it looked like a few popped... and turned into fin rot. Mostly, I want to know if I can use Indian almond leaves and aquarium salts at the same time. He has been in the extract water and I understand that if I want to take him out, I will need to remove it gradually. But I want to treat him immediately... So can they both be used at once?

Here are my answers to the requested questions:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Lonely fish :(

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, except Saturdays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Partials (50%) on Tuesdays and Thursdays, full on Sundays
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra brand Betta water conditioner, Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: Way too hard...
Alkalinity: Unsure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins look ragged where some of the "bubbles" originally appeared
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None at all, really
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2-3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him in January! He's like four months old! (No)
How old is your fish (approximately)? See above

OK... Please help...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
are you able to get a picture of these 'bubbles' or are they now all holes?

As far as treatment is concerned yes you can use both IAL and AQ salts at the same time and they are the most conservative treatment method. His cleaning is spot on so I don't think it is necessary to do more than is already being done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can try to get pictures, but it isn't easy to get Doktor to hold still at the right angle... They look like pinholes unless you can see them in the right light from the right angle, at which point you can tell that they are raised.
If I can get one I will post it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I will keep my eye out. also a good strategy for a skittish fish i find is to show them a mirror from a distance- they zero in on the one spot you need and hold still for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well ulcers in the fins are usually a sign of very mild infection, something your boy is fighting off but is still making its presence felt.

The choice to medicate is yours and honestly at this stage either method is just in its own way.
If you mediacte you can eliminate a potential threat but waste money and time if it isnt needed OR
You step up his water changes while he fights back (adding AQ salt to the water if you like to keep the wounds clean) and see if he can heal all on his own.

If you see the holes clearly necrosing into proper rot though its time to scrap the clean water option and get a good fungal cure

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice that one of the bubbles/holes seems to have healed, so I will continue the water change/AQ salts with IAL for now.
I have two medicines already--Jungle Fungus Clear and Maracyn 1. If there is no improvement, would either of those work?
My last Betta was a very sick fishie, so I have medicines already...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would start with the jungle if you dont see any improvement, but if it is healing on his own I have high hopes he can kick it on his own.

Bettas are remarkably resilient to fin problems. I suppose they have to with them that size!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts