Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some answers. Will triops hatch under a battery powered book light in a 8-16 oz deli cup? And can a betta survive in 70 degree water? I plan to get a heater soon, but the house is made in the 1960s and most of them are not safe. So can he survive for a few months?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ooh, triops! I've always wanted them but every time I've tried, they've died because of poor water quality. When hatching them, the water needs to be nearly pristine--they're invertebrates like shrimp and traces of copper are deadly to them. A book light is a bit small, but the key to it is that the light must be on 24 hours a day for 2 days.
Temperature is also important. If it's colder than 70F then the triops hatchlings may die.

A betta needs water warmed than 70F. A few months hovering in the low 70s will lower your betta's immune system and it will become prone to sickness, sluggishness.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried triops by turning on the light for 12 hours a day and 6-7 of them hatched. Also, is their another way to heat the betta's water?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My book light/triops container is enclosed in a shoe box ventilated. This is to allow the light to be in the box more concentrated. Will this work? I have recently just put the eggs in the natural spring water. I plan to raise triops by using a few deli cups(16 oz) and putting sand in one of them to allow the triops to breed, resulting in infinite eggs. Would that work too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts