Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you have watched the news, TS Erika is coming straight for Florida. Normally, I wouldn't be worried. However, this is the first major storm since I moved into my apartment and this particular unit is notorious for power outages during the most tame storms.

In Florida, the temperature is in the 90's to 100's on a daily basis, so an apartment without A/C is going to be toasty warm. What would be the minimum temperature my tank could get to before I freak out and get hand warmers?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would get a big cooler and fill with half full water bottles and freeze them incase of a power outage.
I will be moving almost right after the storm so I'm going to be busy :S

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm actually really worried about power outages too but my suggestion (something I should go to soon) is get one of those battery powered air pumps so the tank would keep surface agitation and the fish oxygenated

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it regularly gets in to the 90s and 100s, do you really need to heat the tank if there's no A/C?

What I wonder about is, since I'm watching Hurricanes Ignacio and Jimena in the Pacific, if your tank isn't completely cycled yet, if nitrites are still building, what do you do for water changes if there's not enough clean water around to make the changes? I wouldn't use my emergency bottled drinking water. Not to hijack your thread or anything.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Betta's would be fine right down to 60 if it were for a short time and not a drastic drop over a few seconds (which wouldn't happen unless doing a water change). With Florida weather, I wouldn't worry about your tanks. If you have things other than Betta's that need more air then I would look at the battery operated air or bag buddies (can be found on amazon) to create oxygen in the water. But Anabantids don't need extra oxygen so again, I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
as long as the water stays above 70 degrees you will have no issues.

I live in Portland Oregon which is known for Cool temperate weather however its been a VERY HOT and dry summer. My tanks have been around 86 degrees for about two months with no signs of stress on my plants or fish.

The filter shutting off is what I would consider to be the biggest hassle for you. To oxygenate the water you have take two pitchers and fill one of them about 2/3rds full with the tanks water and pour the water back and forth between them multiple time to oxygenate the water. I would do that at LEAST once a day. then of course monitor for ammonia spikes and whatnot

I think youll be just fine as long as the roof of your apt doesnt get ripped off ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it regularly gets in to the 90s and 100s, do you really need to heat the tank if there's no A/C?

What I wonder about is, since I'm watching Hurricanes Ignacio and Jimena in the Pacific, if your tank isn't completely cycled yet, if nitrites are still building, what do you do for water changes if there's not enough clean water around to make the changes? I wouldn't use my emergency bottled drinking water. Not to hijack your thread or anything.
Well, if the power goes out, then the AC will go out too, which will lead to those high temps. I'm just wondering how quickly my water will cool down, and at what temperature should I be worried for the welfare of my bettas.

What I would do is do a water change right before the storm hits while the water is still running. After that, just dose with prime and get a sponge filter that runs on batteries so that your cycle doesn't completely crash from lack of water flow/oxygenation

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd say below 74F you need a heater asap and above 84F you med to cool it down, can you get a small generator for your tanks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Betta's would be fine right down to 60 if it were for a short time and not a drastic drop over a few seconds (which wouldn't happen unless doing a water change). With Florida weather, I wouldn't worry about your tanks. If you have things other than Betta's that need more air then I would look at the battery operated air or bag buddies (can be found on amazon) to create oxygen in the water. But Anabantids don't need extra oxygen so again, I wouldn't worry at all.
Well even with A/C my water can only get down to 68 degrees, so that is comforting. Its definitely going to be a gradual change, but I will try to keep them as comfortable as possible with towels and blankets to trap the heat

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd say below 74F you need a heater asap and above 84F you med to cool it down, can you get a small generator for your tanks?
Id say that is a little more restrictive on the temp range than need be for the OPs possible emergency situation.

Prime conditions? yea i would agree with you. Hurricane up in your face? a bit lower and a bit higher wont kill the Betta and would cause only minimal stress up to a point

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, it will be a two or three days before your tank ever gets down that low. But the temp will increase again with the day.

I know it's an unpopular opinion and practice, but I don't have heaters in until late fall. In the mornings here is about 62 degrees but all of my tanks stay around 70 in the morning and then increase to 76-78 during mid afternoon and decrease slowly again throughout the night. The nights are actually pretty warm, it's just the very morning (4-6am) that it's cold. So that gives you an idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'd get a generator that can run the tank, and your refrigerator. If you've got a well stocked fridge & freezer it can cost a few hundred bucks to restock it, that pretty much pays for the generator.

As far as the filter get a couple plastic cups, fast food beverage cups, red beer bash cups, doesn't much matter. Poke holes in the bottom of one, clip it to the tank rim inside the tank. Put your filter media in there, every few hours pour through some tank water, the cup is the filter, you're the pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd get a generator that can run the tank, and your refrigerator. If you've got a well stocked fridge & freezer it can cost a few hundred bucks to restock it, that pretty much pays for the generator.

As far as the filter get a couple plastic cups, fast food beverage cups, red beer bash cups, doesn't much matter. Poke holes in the bottom of one, clip it to the tank rim inside the tank. Put your filter media in there, every few hours pour through some tank water, the cup is the filter, you're the pump.
As much as I would love a generator, I live in an apartment complex. And then everyone would be wanting to use my generator :lol:

However, I love your idea about how to keep the Beneficial Bacteria safe! That is absolute brilliance! Just in case there is an ammonia spike, I would probably dose with Prime daily, especially if my water doesn't work either (or is contaminated).

Thank you everyone so much! I love all the collaboration on this issue! The meteorologists say that this is going to be a quiet hurricane season, but two tropical storms within a week doesn't sound too quiet to me!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It was a very hot day here in LA today. My apartment doesn't have a AC. It's 8pm and one of the tank water temperature is still 90F. The betta, ramshorns and bladder snails and plants are doing pretty well. None of them are acting strange.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let's all prayer it doesn't turn into a hurricane. I live in FL also but don't have any fish at this time but I am planning to get one in a few months.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm in the Tampa area they said its heading straight for us, also said it'll be a hurricane by the time it hits land :S

·
Registered
13 Posts
The latest forecast I saw from the National Hurricane Center says Erika dissipated at 9:30am EDT Saturday morning.
Still FL is going to get a lot of rain which means flooding and power can still go out. Plus it might reform into a tropical storm in the Gulf. Prayers and fingers crossed it doesn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts