Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I bought Beau a new tank a couple of weeks ago, and I'm concerned because it's lidless. His current tank (which he's still in, as his temporary "roommates" are going into the new tank) has a hinged lid, which I love. The new tank is a 5 gallon, does anyone have a recommendation for a tank lid? I don't want a full hood, one of the wire mesh ones is something like what I have in my head. Something that will allow a lot of air movement, but keep him from jumping. (Not that he shows an inclination to do so unless I tease him with food)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes they are fine. A lot of fish won't jump and if it does, unless the tank is filled it won't hit the lid anyway. If it does the only danger would be loose mesh wires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good, I'm glad that you don't think it will hurt my fishy friend. But considering that the frame is steel, do you think it would be alterable to fit around my Marina i25 internal filter? It took me the better part of 2 hours to alter the tank to make the rim clip fit.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you can't find a versa-top like what Jada suggested, you can also go to most hardware stores and they'll sell and cut plexiglass for you. It won't be hinged, but it should do the job of covering the top of the tank. :)

The problem with an open-lid tank, or a mesh-covered tank is that it doesn't hold heat as well, and it doesn't provide the humidity that helps their labyrinth organ when they come up for air. It's desirable to have a good solid top of the tank (or even just saran wrap stretched over the top with a gap so air can still flow in and out) to keep the humidity high at the water surface. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at those, but do they allow for air exchange? My current lid on the small tank has slits to allow air in, I don't want the air inside to be stale.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Condensation is desirable it prevents water from evaporating and it does make difference in temperature. How much air you let in is up to you. The back part of the aqueon lid is plastic and is intended for you to be able to make cuts so that filters or other item can have access air will get in that way. You do want to protect against jumping. Some bettas are pretty wiley about getting out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use eggcrate or plastic craft mesh on mine. The eggcrate cuts beautifully & the mesh comes in clear/translucent & black which I use for fish that appreciate a little less light. Perhaps not as polished a look but I like it very much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a present waiting for me when I came home from camping this afternoon, the lid I ordered more than a week ago finally arrived. I put it together and started fitting it to my tank, when lo and behold, my filter is too thick. I have a Marina i25 internal filter, which puts off just the right amount of current in the 5 gal. Does anyone have a recommendation for a slightly slimmer, similar filter?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the problem I'm running into.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've considered it, but I've had this filter so long that I don't think I can sleep without the waterfall noise. I spoke to my dad, who happens to be my favorite handyman, and he recommended taking it to a local auto glass place and asking them to trim the glass for me.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You may not even have to go to an autoglass place, some hardware stores will do it as well. :) But I agree with him, it should be easy to cut it. :)

And...the waterfall noise...yup. Years ago I was house-sitting and couldn't figure out why I couldn't sleep. (My friends tease me that I'm narcoleptic, me, not being able to sleep, now that's just not right. ;) It took me two days to figure out it was the lack of airpump/bubbling hum. I finally had to run home, pick up a spare airpump, and use it with a bowl of water from the kitchen. From then on, I was good to go. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The auto glass place didn't answer their phone, but a guy at Aco Hardware did it for me for free. He did say it was harder to cut than he thought, but he managed not to shatter my lid. And after all of that, it still doesn't fit right! :( If I put it so that the front is flush with the side of my tank, the filter over flows onto the lid.

I give up, I'm just going to leave the front propped up on the edge of the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts