307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallon long
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? It is a sorority of 9 females in a 15 gallon section

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Tank parameters are fine

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small cauliflower looking bumps starting to appear on the three sisters I have. They are all related, bought from a breeder here and are acting completely normal and happy but the bumps are growing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no changes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? several weeks/month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8-12 months. Bought in January

The only fish affected are related to each other, which I find odd? They also show no other symptoms whatsoever and eat and swim great. The reason I am posting as the third sister is showing signs of one and I want to know what i should do to treat:)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
They are not actually tumors but they are cysts. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for them. If the fish survive long enough, the cysts may or may not fall off and start growing a new cyst, however if this happens you can remove for a day to sterilize the open wound with 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQ salt and then back into the tank they can go. Otherwise, you just let it run its course. It's most likely genetic which is why it happened to the sisters, it's not viral or anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.