Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says, unfortunately both my boys have velvet. They are in a divided tank. I'm not quite sure how they got infected, but i'm 100% sure they have it. Both look as if they have gold dust sprinkled all over them and it seems like my betta Sterling has this parasite working together with fin rot (which i've heard can happen). I realized they were infected about 4 days ago when when with no warning Sterling's fins started rapidly deteriorating. I took a flashlight to him and saw his fins were turning sort of a brown goldish color and he looked like he had gold sprinkled all over his body.. So how should I got about treating this? I blackout the tank in the day time and also have raised the temp to about 85 degrees F. I am also treating them with Jungle Ick Clear fizz tablets as I have heard you can use the same treatments for both these parasites. It has been about 3 days into treatment and they seem pretty spunky and normal. But the gold dust look has not dissapeared. How long is this going to take to treat? Do you recommend anything else?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons (divided).
What temperature is your tank? Usually around 80 degrees F.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze dried blood worms and betta color enhancher pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Api Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm.
pH: 8.0
Hardness: N/a
Alkalinity: N/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gold dust looks like it has been sprinkled on both of them. One has fin rot working together with the parasite.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Were a little lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 4 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Jungle Clear Ick Clear fizz tablets.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not really.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Sky maybe 2-3 years. Sterling maybe a 1 and a half.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pictures. It is very hard to see and I have to get the lighting just right. The little white specs on the glass are from my paper towel when I cleaned the glass lol..

Sky (My little tail biter...) -_-
20151013_194018edit sky.jpg

Sterling.
20151013_194247editserling.jpg

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I'm sorry but actually neither of your fish have velvet. Velvet isn't actually gold or shiny. But it is more like a grey gold dust. What you are seeing is natural iridescence. Attached is a photo that lil posted that is a fish with velvet. You'll see the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I really think that they do have velvet to be honest, but then again i'm not the most experienced betta keeper either. It's like day 5 of treatment and both are more active than ever and there is less of the goldish color on them now. Sterling's fin rot has also improved drastically since treatment also. Maybe I could have caught it very early so it's not too bad and covering them like the picture you posted? Like I said, it's really hard to see unless I get the light just right so you can't really see much in these pictures at all. So i'm not really sure what to do at this point should I just stop with treatment?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go with your word since I only have about a year of experience with betta's and i'm sure you know better than I do. :p If I stop treatment, should I do a 100% water change to get all of the medication out?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Never stop a treatment when you are in the middle of it. Finish up with this treatment and then remove the medicine.

The fact you said that you can't really see it unless the light is just right tells me that it is definitely not velvet. Velvet is pretty easy to spot even in mild cases. It is also not gold at all. Its more of a grey color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts