Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ghengis has been constipated for a while now, and I've tried flaring sessions with him, epsom salt... and now the pea method. Unfortunately I'm unable to get daphnia, but it looks too late now... He's got dropsy. And yes, before anyone says I am wasting my time, I KNOW dropsy is a shot in the dark to heal or reverse, and he'd have to be under superb care if he DID survive.

The other one is little Rose who has popeye in one eye from being slammed into by one of the more aggressive gals in the sorority, and now she too has dropsy, and my understanding is her organs were damaged during her beating :-(

Again, I KNOW it is a shot in the dark, and I'm probably wasting my time, but if I said I was wasting my time for every betta who was terribly sick I wouldn't have had Admiral, Sarah, Suzi, I wouldn't have tried so hard with Maine, Riddle, or Shadow (and Shadow ALMOST survived that terrible disease)... I wouldn't even be owning fish if I gave up so easily!

Ghengis is active, making a nest, flaring and showing off, begging for food and being his little ol' self. I owe it to him to try, even if I have a 1 in 10'000 chance with him/them...

I'm adding 4 teaspoons of epsom per gallon ( they are in a divided 10 with 6 gallons of water), PLUS maracyn 2 which claims to help dropsy and popeye. I remembered this, so I decided to try it as a slim chance thing... I DO have kanaplex, but I don't want to be super dosing them, unless someone recommends it. But since the maracyn 2 is in there I'm unsure if I could use it anyways, because I don't know much of mixing meds other than combos like maracyn and maracyn 2, etc.

My question, what is the survival rate of dropsy victims? I know what dropsy is, but I have heard of the very very very rare cases of survival.

also, is it safe to feed the high protein meat of fresh mealworms to both? On here I read a post from OFL I believe, saying if the fish will eat, feed it. Let them have everything they can to survive!

another question is, how much epsom is safe to use? I've heard ranges of 3-5 tsp per gallon.

I would've euthanised them, however someone has my clove oil (brother had a tooth ache).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Dropsy.shtml

The other thing I have found is a lot of people saying feed food that will give your fish an energy boost as they will need all the energy they can get, but obviously, not enough to bloat the fish any more.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) worth a shot, right? Ghengis is acting soo normal it's sad... so if he says he wants to live, then let's give it all we got :)

For FIVE years I have NEVER gone to Global Pet Foods, but I decided to today. They have tons of stuff for BETTAS!!! I found Zoo-Med betta dial-a-treat which includes freeze dried daphnia, mysis and blood worms. I'll be soaking them, and feeding some daphnia to them as something to eat without expanding like pellets would.

Oh I read the first one before... the second link, OH MY GOD BETTA REVIVE? I bought that! TODAY!!! :shock: I JUST got home from Global Pet Foods and saw it and meant to post a thread to ask about it... So I bought it. for 3 dollars.

I mean, Ghengis doesn't have the super pinecone look like the one in the store did... But you can tell they are raised half way. As for Rose her whole body is pineconed, but hey, not giving up YET!! I also got her the floating log to make it feel more secure..

Can I use betta revive not that I've already added Maracyn 2? is it safe to mix?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It should say on the label how long to wait before using it after using another treatment, most say 48 hours!
I think whilever they are living a pretty normal life it is really worth trying!
Betta revive seems to have the best results from what I can see!!!
I hope they're better soon!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
it's never useless to try to treat dropsy. i'm doing it with Medic. she just is so active, i have so much hope for her. :B

i hope you manage to save them both.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to both of you!!! :) Ghengis says he wants to live, and Rose says she's too cute to die >.> :lol:

If one or both are okay in 48 hours, betta revive will be next. I will be doing daily cleaning, too, to get ANY debris, ANY bacteria that dares compromise this mission!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
well I'm sorry to say this but...anyone who can disagree with that is a numpty

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:lol: Well there ARE some people who say "pineconed?? too far gone, now you're torturing them... BOO ON YOU!" kind of attitude. And yes, although it is true that pineconing is basically a death sentence and there is probably a 0.00009 percent chance they will live, heck, it's possible. I don't wanna lose more bettas! I know Rose probably won't live, but it's worth a shot. It's POSSIBLE, but not common.

And if they both pull through, or either one pulls through, they get their own 5 gallon to live in. I will personally go out, and buy 5 gallons for them :| which is like... 40.00 each x.x but meh, keeps them from stress, and makes it easy for me to cycle those tanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If people want to believe it's impossible then they're the ones killing betta's by not trying to help them. If it was impossible, then there would be no success stories!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well out of what I read, I read about 10 things and only 2 were "success" stories. One was of a gold fish who had chronic SBD, and he only lived a few months after surviving dropsy and two relapses! The other is the one you showed me.

So hey, why not :) Plus, y'know how rare true butterfly bettas are around here?? xD Juniper only carries the gene, and I've only seen one other butterfly but he was sold before I got him (and he had white fungus stuff on him...)

Can I dip food in the betta revive??!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well from what I've seen, the general advice is soak the food for a better outcome

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But would it be okay to soak it in betta revive? :) Both will eat haha. Which is good :roll: I haven't found any anti-bacterial foods so it's the ol' fashioned "dip n' feed" way :p

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Like I say from what I read, Yes it seems like its ok to soak it :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright :)

On an off handed non-dropsy related note, thanks to Zebra's crazed tantrum during the columnaris outbreak of the sorority Tina wasn't in the "clear zone" when she was attacked, therefore the columnaris definitely took root and she has the despicable orange on her fin like Sarah did, and now I have to dose her for columnaris :roll: friggin frackin.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hmmm thats convenient :p

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol. Hey! betta revive work for columnaris? xD She's in a 1 gallon since her attack. Now her wound has healed, but the tail is black (from the columnaris I presume) and her dorsal has the orange :roll: poor baby. But she loved her mealworm and daphnia treat ^^

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Well out of what I read, I read about 10 things and only 2 were "success" stories. One was of a gold fish who had chronic SBD, and he only lived a few months after surviving dropsy and two relapses! The other is the one you showed me.

So hey, why not :) Plus, y'know how rare true butterfly bettas are around here?? xD Juniper only carries the gene, and I've only seen one other butterfly but he was sold before I got him (and he had white fungus stuff on him...)

Can I dip food in the betta revive??!!
How do you know your betta carries the BF gene?

alright :)

On an off handed non-dropsy related note, thanks to Zebra's crazed tantrum during the columnaris outbreak of the sorority Tina wasn't in the "clear zone" when she was attacked, therefore the columnaris definitely took root and she has the despicable orange on her fin like Sarah did, and now I have to dose her for columnaris :roll: friggin frackin.
Columnaris doesn't have an orange coloring. It's either white and patchy or white and stringy.
lol. Hey! betta revive work for columnaris? xD She's in a 1 gallon since her attack. Now her wound has healed, but the tail is black (from the columnaris I presume) and her dorsal has the orange :roll: poor baby. But she loved her mealworm and daphnia treat ^^
Betta Revive is watered down methylene blue. Methylene blue works on wimpy bacteria and external parasites but it will not work on something as nasty as columnaris.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Mr Vampire.

And Ghengis has the butterfly coloring. While Juniper who was almost a look alike, does not have the full butterfly coloring, but only half.

Okay, so if Sarah who had the orange didn't have it, and Marge who got the BLUE similar to Sarah's orange, and it wasn't columnaris, what was it? Their colored spots disintegrated, and Sarah died from it. All the females who were in contact with it had healed except Tina, because Tina had been brutally attacked leaving a bloody wound. Now her fin has ORANGE which is not her color and I know this because she is irridescent purple, with the plain body. the orange is out of place, and surely like Sarah had, it'll disintegrate. :/ and then she'll die. The tank she has has never had a sick fish in it, everything had been boiled if it had been with any death related tank (even old age)...

What do you suggest? =D I do have kanaplex, AQ salt, epsom, Maracyn 2, Fungal med, anti-parasite fizz tab, betta revive, and furan 2.

I tried to ask this last time with Sarah and not many answers came up. And so on yahooanswers someone mentioned columnaris, and I kept the temperature lower as instructed, and did what was needed and it worked for the other gals. :( Marge though, I did "amputate" the fins which btw I don't want to do very often (or rather ever again), but it did work to get rid of the blue weirdness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts