Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought two bettas from Petsmart. When I took them out of their cups, I noticed that both of them have very ratty looking tails. Does it look like fin rot? I don't have experience treating any diseases, so advice is appreciated! I do have some aquarium salt that I can use.

This guy has almost no tail.
Fish Fish Green Tail Organism

This one has curled ventrals and large chunks missing from the tail.
Marine biology Fish Red Tail Fish

·
Registered
263 Posts
Fin rot is totally different luckily :) Your bettas may have nipped their own tails and fins, but don't worry as this is quite common among new bettas.

The one without a tail may be a female, as PetSmart is known to label certain bettas incorrectly. To help the growing of the tail, use aquarium salt or betta syrup. Both can be found at your local pet stores.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fin rot is totally different luckily :) Your bettas may have nipped their own tails and fins, but don't worry as this is quite common among new bettas.

The one without a tail may be a female, as PetSmart is known to label certain bettas incorrectly. To help the growing of the tail, use aquarium salt or betta syrup. Both can be found at your local pet stores.
Oh, good! That's such a relief! Thanks!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes Jello is right, they've either been in a fight or they've nipped their own fins. Here's a thread I made about fin rot vs. fin biting and things you can do about it to help your fish heal up: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

And they are both boys ;-)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I wonder if the blue boy had his fin cut off (maybe during a water change or something). It looks more sheared off than bitten off. The red guy looks like he may have nipped at his tail, which can happen when they're stressed.

I don't see any signs of infection in either one's tails, fortunately. I'd just keep them in extra clean (and warm) water, and follow any suggestions in lilnaugrim's thread.

Monitor the blue though. The tail isn't long right now, so if an infection starts to set in, you'll want to treat quickly so that it doesn't spread to his body.

I think that with a little TLC, both will be looking just fine soon! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts