Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Blue has been acting strange for a month now. I checked all of his levels in the tank (nitrite nitrate ammonia) and they are acceptable. The only thing that is off is the temp this week. The weather has gotten warmer and his tank temp has gone up considerably. How can I cool the water down without messing up anything?

And in regard to his behavior. He has been hiding and darting away from me unlike he used to do. In the past he'd just casually swim away. Now he acts like he's about to be eaten by a shark. He doesn't want food as much as he used to. I've decided to only feed him once a day. I think his behavior started from constipation issues. Maybe he's still experiencing constipation? Hmm. He's just not the interactive guy he used to be.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tank temp has a lot to do with his behavior. if the temp has gone past 80 degrees and the weather is staying warm there is really nothing to do. leave the heater set at 78 degrees in case the temp outside drops again. He will adjust to the temp in a few days but rapid water temp changes will do more harm than good. If he is near a window remove him from the window, into a shadier spot for now.
I know what you mean about not acting right, I just did a 100% water change in Harry's tank, cleaned the whole tank and put back 75% of the water. (so I really only did a 25% water change .) I put Harry in my new 10 gallon tank that is still cycling but all the water levels are in good shape today. Well needless to say he enjoyed the big tank. (all it has in is fluorite and gravel, No plants or decor.) but he didn't want to get out. Now he is back in his 4 gallon tank with all his toys and plants and he is sooooooo miffed that he won't come to the front of the tank if Im in the room. (Kids) If you think it's constipation you may want to change his food. I feed Harry Bettamin 2 times a day. I also give him blood worms 2 times a week as a treat I have never had any problems with his eating.I find pellets were not at all something he liked. Now the shrimp on the other hand will eat anything. ( and Harry has been known to have a shrimp dinner every now and than. ) I'm sure there is nothing wrong physically with your Blue that some time will not cure. They like to play games with you and love the attention.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
If you tank is extremely hot, then you could turn on a desktop fan and have it blow across the water to cool it down. It lowers the temperature gradually so it does not shock the fish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi all,

Blue has been acting strange for a month now. I checked all of his levels in the tank (nitrite nitrate ammonia) and they are acceptable. The only thing that is off is the temp this week. The weather has gotten warmer and his tank temp has gone up considerably. How can I cool the water down without messing up anything?
On some days, even though I have the heater set right, I have to turn it off during the day and back on for the night. The water holds it's temp pretty well throughout the day, so during the summer, that's what works for me. If you at 82 or below, he'll be fine.

And in regard to his behavior. He has been hiding and darting away from me unlike he used to do. In the past he'd just casually swim away. Now he acts like he's about to be eaten by a shark. He doesn't want food as much as he used to. I've decided to only feed him once a day. I think his behavior started from constipation issues. Maybe he's still experiencing constipation? Hmm. He's just not the interactive guy he used to be.
I can't speak to all of the ins and outs of Betta behavior; however, he just sounds stressed, maybe by the higher water temps, I don't know for sure. Give the temp reduction technique of your choice a go and see how he does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts