Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Microworms are live fed, so if you feed too many then you have a bunch of tiny micro worms hanging out on the tank floor, when the fry go to the floor to feed they rest their nubby little vents on/in the living Microworms, and I believe the worms eat the vents, and since they're eaten down to the nub they don't regrow

·
Registered
150 Posts
Or it's the dead worms creating bacteria that burn/eat off the ventrals.. Same concept though. Generally, if the bottom of the tank is really clean then most fish will have vents.. But from my research most people who feed to much microworms usually end up with at least some fish without vents!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My hypothesis is that it's because microworms are generally fairly nutrient poor, and thus may be lacking in a specific micronutrient or amino-acid that is necessary for activation of the gene that codes for production of ventral fins.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah for sure, I feel awful that so many were missing ventrals, but they'll be kept as pets, I only sold the others who had ventrals. Had another spawn this time and I'm feeding a LOT less microworms this time, stopping at 2 weeks instead of carrying them on for a long time. There's one baby that I forgot to include, she's still very very small (I think it was the second spawn i had done that I put in with these fry) and shes WHITE. totally white!! AND she has ventrals so yay for that haha. Thanks everyone!! Totally love them <3

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Wow, you got a white one in all those dark colors! That's amazing! I really love the colors, and people looking for pets might not care if the ventrals are there or not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
sorry for asking this question BeautifulBetta in your thread, how old were the babies when their fin stared growing?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts