Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gallon tank with one male Betta in it and 2, soon to be 4 corydoras and I want to expand the tank a bit but I need good recommendations of types of fish you could house in with them.
So, anyone know any good kinds that would work out well? Can be in groups of 2-4 fish, preferably only 1 fish will be added though but I can make it work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I house my betta with 5 neon tetras. If your looking for something 4 and under you could try African Dwarf Frogs. They're cute and work fine with bettas :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you can find them and have a bit of a current panda garra are nice. They clean up the tank and eat everything from algae to dropped food to freeze dried/frozen/dead shrimp. They are happy little fish and pretty easy to care for. I just drop in an algae tab every other day, sink a bit of betta food for them, and keep a steady supply of ghost shrimp in the tank. I have had mine for two years and am for the first time dealing with an issue with them, but its an injury, not an illness.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I read White Cloud fish are good tank companions.

I want an African dwarf frog myself. They are ridiculously cute.
My girl is in with platys (very messy fish) guppies (obv wouldn't work with a male) and white cloud mountain minnows (golden and regular) she gets on great with them all.

My boy on the other hand wiped out a shoal of neons in 3 days.

All a matter of trial and error and the personality of the betta IMO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your replies! And my Betta is not aggressive, he does currently have an issue with intimidating the Cories and he tries to take their food but I think it's just because he needs time to get used to having tank mates.

I am considering getting Zebra Danios.. Anyone know if those would work?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes I just talked to an aquarium store owner who said it really depends. An aggressive Betta could just be best left alone. Owen seems rather aggressive so I guess he'll just fly solo.
Minnows are an option if you really wanted to test the waters, the regular silver are pretty dull and very fast. A shoal of 6 will only cost you £8.00, so if things did go wrong its not that much of an expensive snack ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you for all your replies! And my Betta is not aggressive, he does currently have an issue with intimidating the Cories and he tries to take their food but I think it's just because he needs time to get used to having tank mates.

I am considering getting Zebra Danios.. Anyone know if those would work?
Danios can be fin nippers and need lots of space. Preferably longer than high.

Great fish to watch though and very hardy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Danios can be fin nippers and need lots of space. Preferably longer than high.

Great fish to watch though and very hardy.
I have a long 40 gallon but yeah.. I think I might go with Africa Dwarf Frogs though, they would go great with the Cories! :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.