Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best things I like about these forums it that we can learn from one another's mistakes. Don't make this one!

I was rushing to do water changes last night because I'm leaving for vacation tonight, and we were gone most of the weekend so I didn't do my Saturday 75% changes across the board. When I'm doing a large change, I always always always check the temperature out of the faucet with a thermometer I keep there before refilling each tank (I use a python hooked to the sink to refill). I have four tanks, and I check the temperature in between each one. I set that rule for myself.

Well, I was rushing last night because my 3 year old stalled bedtime to after 9 PM, and it takes me a good 1.5-2 hours to do all the water changes/vacuums/cleanings/reseating plans that got knocked loose, etc. - 55 gallon, 20 gallon, and two 5 gallons. I didn't check the water temperature after refilling the first 5 gallon betta tank and set the python in to fill up the 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank. I thought "Oh well I turned the faucet on to exactly the same spot. It feels fine coming through the hose. It's fine" Filled it up, went to put the lid on and plug the heater and filter back in, and EEEK! Poor puffer's tank dropped from 78 to 68 degrees! The water was too cold!!!

Luckily, I could tell the water near the bottom was still at close to normal temp because the filter wasn't circulating yet. I cupped poor Storm the puffer (adorable little bugger), floated him in the 55 gallon, and brought his tank back to the proper temp. My attempt to save 40 seconds of checking the temp cost me 20 minutes of fixing it and probably about 250 gray hairs. I was paranoid and even got up in the middle of the night to make sure he was ok.

Don't try to save time by doing something stupid. There are good ways to cut corners and save time - using a python to change water, I let my 55 gallon drain out the window while I change the other tanks using 5 gallon buckets, keeping a separate bottle of water conditioner near each tank so I don't have to carry it around with me or go back and forth. All good ways to save time. Nearly freezing a helpless tiny creature? Not a good time-saver.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hey at least you didn't go downstairs to talk to your neighbor and forget that you were draining the tank.... They were flopping. Pretty sure they hate me, especially since that wasn't the first time :) In a way that actually ties back to what happened to you - I started filling the tank ASAP, which we all know comes out straight cold at first. I adjusted it on the fly. Fish all survived.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did one time during a water change not realize a gourami was stuck in one of my little makeshift planters and above the water level for I don't know how long before I flipped her out of it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I once removed a piece of decor for some tank maintenance, placing it on the floor. When I was done and picked the piece up, there were a few loaches wiggling around on the floor. AND, I had tried to flush any fish out of the piece. I do 80% water changes so decor is often (well, not exactly often) left high and dry. I just have to trust that the fish aren't going to kill themselves.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I left my boy in his tank while doing a 90% WC and forgot to heat the water up a little before putting it in and it went from 79 degrees to 40 degrees. Poor Jasper was so stressed out, I cupped him and put hot water into the tank and let the heater heat it up until it was back to 79 degrees. I felt so bad. Now I move him into the .5 gallon for water changes

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I accidentally put tap water into a running tank when doing water changes for my goldfish. I didn't add the conditioner first, so my fish were really stressed. I quickly poured in some API Stress Coat and they are still here today :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
oh god, some of these totally sound like things I would do, being one whos brain is always 5 steps ahead of what I am doing

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did a similar thing to my 5 gallon when I was doing a large water change- for whatever reason, I forgot to check the temp on the new water and let it get a little too hot. Found a very stressed fish trying to dig his way into the gravel to cool off (sorry, buddy- I know better now), and I ended up pulling up all the plants I'd just put in so I could net him and put him in his little plastic cup while the tank cooled down.

Water temp in the tank was pushing 98F. Oops.

He's fine and currently playing happily in the filter current, but now I check water temps every time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yikes! I made a similar mistake when Opalo was in his hospital tank. I was in a hurry to change the water, and forgot to check the temperature...I went to check on him 5 minutes later, and he was floating at the top. The temperature was 96 DEGREES. I immediately poured a few cups of cold water in, and he was fine after 10 minutes. He was in ich treatment with 88F temperatures anyway, which is probably why he lived. I felt terrible, though!

·
Registered
235 Posts
When diesel was in his one gallon (he wasn't a strong swimmer at first) i made the very dumb mistake of not buying a net and instead catching him with a coffee mug to do water changes. He had ENOUGH of that and when i was catching him to put him in the ten gal he jumped out of the tank rather then going in the cup. I nearly fainted but i got him back in the water quickly and bought a fish net before my next water change

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Didn't mean to post...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts