Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok thanks. Ill be sure to watch him but the water flow is pretty weak so i think it should be okay. heres what it looks like
1565394940623-1552506112_1565394964783.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does that sometimes in my spec V
He will not stay long and has never had any damage. I considered getting a sponge and cutting it to fit if it got worse but thankfully it has not. That could be an option for you if you need it. I also place a sponge filter on the outflow to reduce the current in the tank.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless the current is a Betta all over the tank and they don't have any place to rest or eat it is best to keep current as high as possible. This enables them to exercise and gain muscle mass and strength.
Good to know. I was always told they liked as little current as possible.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless the current is a Betta all over the tank and they don't have any place to rest or eat it is best to keep current as high as possible. This enables them to exercise and gain muscle mass and strength.
Ill keep that in mind. His fins seem to be getting pretty long IMO (although ive mostly had plakats so what do I know😂) and the edges are starting to become 'frilly' and crooked so at this point im hoping its just more crowntail coming through and not the beginning of an unstable rose/feathertail gene peeking through😓

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got a Spec V as well and my betta does the same. He usually uses it as a sleeping perch (though he does have a couple other high up options he could use.) I think he just likes the feeling of the slight pull. He did it when I had more flow and less flow. *shrug* so far I haven't noticed any damage, I think its pretty common with bettas and this tank type.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok, well that's at least reassuring. I was thinking the same think too about him liking the slight pull, like maybe he just likes the sport I guess? I haven't seen him do it again after that first time though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on him. My old betta was obsessed with doing that in my fluval spec. He did end up with his tail torn up. I put mesh on the inside of the filter to reduce the suction. Eventually I stopped using that filtration all together and put a sponge filter right beside the intake and a bubbler at the other end. I kept the original sponge and bio media in the back chamber to keep the good bacteria. I’ve had too many issues with controlling the flow this tank provides. I do plug in the main filter from time to time for a few hours. However, I’ve had no issues with just using the sponge filter.

Here’s a pic. Don’t blast me for the “jungle” look. Lol. The vals have taken over recently. I have to put some thought into this tank. Sigh...

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok good to know. And i love your tank! Its quite similar to mine, actually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts