Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an apple snail that seems to have gotten sick. I had a young blue mystery snail that ended up passing away. It seems my Gold Inca snail may have also caught this, but he's still alive. I have quarantined him for now, so that my other snail doesn't get sick as well. I was hoping someone could help? Whatever he may have gotten does not seem to have affected any of my bettas.

He's very lethargic, when he used to be the most active. He's constantly covered in a feathery-looking slime substance that is hanging off of him everywhere. His feces does not seem to have much consistency to it and he's constantly pooping. He barely moves. He won't eat. I'm very concerned. Has anyone dealt with or been able to treat a sick apple snail? If so, can anyone help?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have the same issue... and looking for answers with this dilemma.

I've had two Mystery snails that did the same thing. They ended up dieing on me. =( Now I have four Nitrite snails. two in one 3 gallon tank and the other two in the other 3 gallon. the two in the same tank are not moving either but the other two are moving around like crazy. I want to know if they are in dormant. (if they do that) or they are truly sick?

I hope your nails get better Nightwisp. T^T

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This experience came from another fish forum so I cannot link it:

"I recently bought a Gold Mystery snail for my betta tank because of an algae problem and because my bettas are too aggressive to consider Otos. The first snail was DOA so I returned him and got another. The second one just lay on his back and never moved or ate anything. I thought he was dead too but I saw him slowly moving and he was covered in white cottony fungus. I removed him and put him in my 1 gallon quarantine tank. I didn't know what to treat him with as most fish meds are toxic to snails. I researched and found that some people treated sick snails with Pimafix while others claim it was toxic to snails. The label says it is safe so I decided to try since he was going to die soon anyways if I did nothing. I put 1/2ml into the 1 gallon tank and then checked on him about 10 minutes later. To my surprise he was zooming around the tank and the coat of cottony fungus had dropped off him. He hadn't moved AT ALL in the week I had him! He seemed hungry since he hadn't eaten in a week at least so I gave him a spinach leaf for vitamins and calcium and he jumped all over it and ate like a piggie. He is still doing well and moving around the tank. I'll continue treatment for a week and if all looks well he can go back to the Betta tank and do his job of cleaning algae.

So, for those of you who have a sick or lethargic snail and don't know how to treat it, use PimaFix. It works and very quickly too! Those people on other sites who've said it killed their snails probably had snails that were too far gone to save or used too much PimaFix. It worked very well for mine."

You probably know you should not use Pimafix with bettas but maybe it will help your snail. Guessing the right dosage could ;be hard.

I also found this medication list on another forum
it's a snail forum so the link is included.

an someone please add more meds to the list? It'd would help a lot and it hasn't been updated lately.

There are conflicting reports about methylene blue and its toxicity. Will have to ask someone if he can spare me more MTS and pouch snails so I'll test it myself in a spare bucket.

http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17851
Snails
Safe meds & chemicals - those that are individually safe and tested
Melafix
Pimafix
Albendazole, active ingredient in edible form
Tetracycline, active ingredient
Maracyn Plus by Mardel, active ingredients: sulfadimidine and trimethoprin
Levamisole hydrochloride
Jungle Fungus Clear

-------
Toxic meds & chemicals
Some of the older Maracyns
Copper, active ingredient
Jungle Fungus Clear
Clout
Flubenol, active ingredient
Potassium dichromate, active ingredient
Potassium permanganate, active ingredient (again, based on reports)
Malachite green, active ingredient
Jungle Tablets
Erythromycin
Flubendazole
Trichlorfon (dylox, neguvon, masoten, metriphonate)
Coumaphos
Formaldehyde
Parricide D

-------
"Iffy" List (some bad reports, some reports of no ill-effect). Use these with caution.
Prazi-Pro - reported ill-effects on Planorbids and nerites, but not apple snails
Quick Cure-a combination of malachite green and formalin ; Has been reported to work without issues although malachite green has records for killing snails being the active ingredient.
Fenbendazole
Methylene Blue pik01

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been changing his water daily and haven't been giving him any food. The water changes seem to be doing wonders for him and I'll be trying something food wise to try to get him better food and making sure he has access to it.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
So, one of my nitrite snails had died. I was moving some things around and moved the snail and he fell out of his shell. D= Not sure why and how but my guess is that it was not a healthy snail when I got him/her. =( I am down to three snails, but all three are doing great. =)

I hope your snail gets better. <3

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Melafix
Pimafix
Tetracycline, active ingredient
Maracyn Plus by Mardel, active ingredients: sulfadimidine and trimethoprin
Jungle Fungus Clear

All of these are safe to use on snails, I have used them on snails in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts