Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I went out and got an under gravel filter for my ten gallon a while back. Box said it had everything it needed but it didn't have a pump. The box lied to meeee. And now I'm sitting here looking at my 20-60 gallon air pump I use for my goldies...It has a second air tube attachment...

question one : can it be used for the 10 gal under gravel filter without killing my betta?

question two : If I can, is it ok that the filter will only be on for parts of the day? The Goldies bubbler is on a timer so it is only on during the day. And I don't think my fuse box can handle another pump...

question three : I have sand as substrate and King Popzy REALLY likes it. He never laid on the gravel much but now he likes to take naps on the sand after a good wiggle dance. I would have to change to gravel for the filter. do you think it would be worth it?

question four : will the java ferns be ok with the filter?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes the air pump will work. Will just have to use a valve to control the amount of air. It should be ok on flow. Just keep an eye out and direct the flow towards a wall. an undergravel filter is dependent upon the flow of water and O2 into the gravel for the bacteria to grow. You cannot turn it off at any point. Java ferns should not be a problem. Not sure on the worth it part. UG filters are very good biologically, but for Betta's and low Bio load tanks, there are lots of bio filters out there that do a good job. I love the nano tanks with the filter systems hidden away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the air pump will work. Will just have to use a valve to control the amount of air. It should be ok on flow. Just keep an eye out and direct the flow towards a wall. an undergravel filter is dependent upon the flow of water and O2 into the gravel for the bacteria to grow. You cannot turn it off at any point. Java ferns should not be a problem. Not sure on the worth it part. UG filters are very good biologically, but for Betta's and low Bio load tanks, there are lots of bio filters out there that do a good job. I love the nano tanks with the filter systems hidden away.
ok good :]
I could just leave the bubbler going then with the goldies
this kind of valve right?
http://www.aquariumwholesaleshop.com/images/air pump check valve.jpg
h-how do I adjust the amount of air with it? [sorry for stupid question] and what do you mean by the directing the flow to a wall ? Sorry I tend to not know the answers to obvious things haha
thank you by the way haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's an inline check valve to keep water from back flowing into the pump if the power fails. Also good to have but not what I meant. This is what I was referring to. http://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Plas...14682&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+air+pump+valve
Aw I got excited there I have a million of those things floating around
well at least they are nice and cheap :D
ffff I was just at petsmart too ehhhhhh
well thanks a bunch for helping me :]

[ I doubt I could just pinch the tube a bit for it could I?]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts